Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't transfer some .MOV files

I'm transferring files from one of my iMacs to an external hard drive. Things were going well, but I began having trouble with certain .MOV files.

The problem files have the same number as files that transfer smoothly, but with a suffix. Often the icon to the left of the problem file's number is a dark rectangle, the icon on those that transfer smoothly is like a miniature page with a corner turned down and what looks like a blue letter Q over it.

ex: IMG_4897.MOV 9 KB QT movie

IMG_4897 2.MOV 24.3 KB QT movie

The error message says: The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "IMG_4897 2.MOV" can't be read or written (Error code -36)

What adds to the annoyance is that if I attempt to move a group of files at one time, the problem pops up with the second file and none of the following files will move — I can move just one file at a time, and I have MANY !

iMac, macOS 10.12

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 3:22 PM

Do these troublesome files play on your iMac with QuickTimePlayer? If they don't they they may well be corrupt and that might be the problem. They are pretty small files and I am wondering if their rendering ever completed in the first place.

Also, you might try running a First Aid scan on both drives, in case you are getting indications of drive failure.

Another thing you can try is to duplicate one of the troublesome files and change its name. Then try to transfer it.

-- Rich

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 3:22 PM in response to phidgety

Do these troublesome files play on your iMac with QuickTimePlayer? If they don't they they may well be corrupt and that might be the problem. They are pretty small files and I am wondering if their rendering ever completed in the first place.

Also, you might try running a First Aid scan on both drives, in case you are getting indications of drive failure.

Another thing you can try is to duplicate one of the troublesome files and change its name. Then try to transfer it.

-- Rich

Aug 14, 2020 2:55 PM in response to phidgety

What is the file system format of your external volume? Such error-36 messages are frequently caused by differences in the file system format of the source volume and the destination volume. ensure that the destination volume has the same file system format as the volume you are copying from.

This document describes how to prepare a volume with a compatible file system format: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

It has been written for Photos but will work for videos as well.

Aug 15, 2020 3:48 PM in response to léonie

léonie,

Thanks so much ! I got to my email after a second advisor sent a response, as that was at the top of my mail list, I clicked on it first and copied the information.

Then I saw your response and copied your information, and to thank both of you I wrote: Thanks so much Rich and léonie — I'll do as you both suggest and get back to the posting, I really appreciate your help !

I wasn't thinking my reply would only go to one of you — I'm sorry.

The other advisor's information was the first copied, so I followed it and voila!, it solved the problem.

Please know how grateful I am that you would give me your assistance.

Can't transfer some .MOV files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.