Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage showing email addresses instead of phone numbers

When I use iMessage, how do I make sure that only phone numbers appear from my Contacts and not email addresses from my email accounts?

iPhone 7

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 3:46 PM

Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive

In here you should see any phone numbers or email addresses associated with you Apple ID that can be used with iMessage. You should have the section that says 'Start New Conversations From', make sure the phone number is checked.

I don't believe this is the full solution to the puzzle though. You would want to check with those contacts whose messages are coming as email addresses and have them do the same thing. Alternatively, I believe you can attempt to start a new message thread with these contacts rather than continuing in an existing conversation. When they reply to the new message thread, it should be from their phone number.

Now if they were to use their iPad to message you rather than their iPhone and they are not using text message forwarding (also an option in Settings > Messages) to their other devices, you might wind up back in the old thread again.

Hopefully this points you in the right direction. I don't play with this type of stuff too often as it generally just works for me. I'm quite certain that it's these settings that will help you though.

Below is a link about iMessage that you can look thru as well.

Use iMessage apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2020 3:46 PM in response to marciefromdurham

Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive

In here you should see any phone numbers or email addresses associated with you Apple ID that can be used with iMessage. You should have the section that says 'Start New Conversations From', make sure the phone number is checked.

I don't believe this is the full solution to the puzzle though. You would want to check with those contacts whose messages are coming as email addresses and have them do the same thing. Alternatively, I believe you can attempt to start a new message thread with these contacts rather than continuing in an existing conversation. When they reply to the new message thread, it should be from their phone number.

Now if they were to use their iPad to message you rather than their iPhone and they are not using text message forwarding (also an option in Settings > Messages) to their other devices, you might wind up back in the old thread again.

Hopefully this points you in the right direction. I don't play with this type of stuff too often as it generally just works for me. I'm quite certain that it's these settings that will help you though.

Below is a link about iMessage that you can look thru as well.

Use iMessage apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

iMessage showing email addresses instead of phone numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.