Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac is older than 2010 and I am trying to transfer from it to a new iMac but cannot find a cable that can do this as the Thunderbolts do not work

My iMac is older than 2010 and I need to transfer data from it to a new iMac but Thunderbolts do not work. I need suggestions on what I need to make the transfer of data

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 14, 2020 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 10:18 AM

You need to physically connect the two computers with a USB cable. You can also use ethernet, but USB is better. Then, I assume you plan to use Migration Assistant to do the transfer. Just follow instructions and all should go well. Do not use wi fi for the transfer. It often does not work and the data gets corrupted. Allow plenty of time. I may take an hour or so. Enjoy your new Mac.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2020 10:18 AM in response to S-A-N

You need to physically connect the two computers with a USB cable. You can also use ethernet, but USB is better. Then, I assume you plan to use Migration Assistant to do the transfer. Just follow instructions and all should go well. Do not use wi fi for the transfer. It often does not work and the data gets corrupted. Allow plenty of time. I may take an hour or so. Enjoy your new Mac.

Aug 15, 2020 10:23 AM in response to S-A-N

If you were using Time Machine on the older Mac, simply connect the old Mac's Time Machine External Hard Disk to the new Mac using a USB cable and then launch Migration Assistant. If you were backing up the old computer using bootable clone app (SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner) this would work just fine too. This is the fastest and most reliable method bar none!

My iMac is older than 2010 and I am trying to transfer from it to a new iMac but cannot find a cable that can do this as the Thunderbolts do not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.