Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13-inch graphics not working properly

I have a 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro and suspect that there's something wrong with its graphics performance. I edit YouTube videos pretty often using iMovie, and after a short while (about 30 minutes or so) it begins to lag with the spinning circle appearing every single time I edit a clip or simply drag it around. It's usually several minutes before it finally responds.

To add on to that, the keyboard shortcuts associated with screenshots and the function for screen recording in Quicktime Player are all not working.

Are any of you guys having the same issue on this particular model of the MBP? My old 2013 MacBook Air (with same OS version, same settings, etc.) even seems to perform better in comparison.

Attached is the performance specs of my new MBP.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 2:18 PM

Greetings TylerTheGamer,

Thank you for joining us at the Apple Support Communities. We understand that your MacBook Pro is slowing down while using iMovie, and we want to help. Let's begin by checking out the guidance included here:

If iMovie isn't working on your Mac

If you still need help after going through that resource, Contact Apple Support for further assistance.

Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2020 2:18 PM in response to TylerTheGamer

Greetings TylerTheGamer,

Thank you for joining us at the Apple Support Communities. We understand that your MacBook Pro is slowing down while using iMovie, and we want to help. Let's begin by checking out the guidance included here:

If iMovie isn't working on your Mac

If you still need help after going through that resource, Contact Apple Support for further assistance.

Take care.

Aug 17, 2020 4:24 AM in response to Dustin_R_308

Good Morning, Dustin R,

Thanks for the reply, my problem was solved by updating to macOS Catalina 10.15.6. Maybe the all-new MacBook Pro just won't work well with 10.15.5. I don't know exactly if the problem will resurface again in the future, but until then, may the solution help others too. I will update you guys in this thread if this issue comes up again.

For those who are having the same issue and may have landed on this post either intentionally or by accident, my attempts at resetting the NVRAM and SMC did not result in any significant, lasting improvements on system graphic performance. It's just a matter of updating to the latest macOS

Thanks again to Dustin R for helping and have an enjoyable week!😊

Take care.

MacBook Pro 13-inch graphics not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.