Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop Bluetooth from connecting to a device unless I want it to?

Is there a way to stop an iPhone from connecting to Bluetooth devices automatically?

I've gone through discussions and the only suggestions are to turn Bluetooth off or forget the device.

Forgetting a device is a nuisance as it means forgetting and then re-pairing constantly, like each time I leave or enter a room.

Turning off Bluetooth means that certain Bluetooth apps will also be disabled unless I turn it on every time I go out (thinking of Canada's COVID tracking app).

With Wi-Fi for example, there's an auto-join option that can be selected for specific networks so that an IOS device only connects to networks I want it to. E.g. I want it to connect to my home or office networks automatically; I don't want it to connect to my favourite coffee shop unless I ask it to.

This has become a problem if I don't want my phone paired with, say, an audio listening device in another room. I want the choice to disconnect until I ask to join that device, and/or just connect automatically to one device specifically.

What's happening is my calls are going to a shared headset, or my audio is getting picked up where I don't want it to be, maybe waking someone else up or getting in their space as a distraction. I can disconnect from the kitchen Bluetooth speakers, but the phone will reconnect within a few seconds.

Are the only options to turn off Bluetooth or forget the device, or am I missing a workaround?

Thanks!

iPhone X

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 10:10 AM

Short answer - no.

Bluetooth devices automatically search. However, if it is not paired, it is NOT connected.

Barry

1 reply

How do I stop Bluetooth from connecting to a device unless I want it to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.