Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are my text messages on my iPhone also saved to iCloud

Managing and archiving phone text messages

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 6:59 AM

Based on your Title of the Post --> Yes.

Turn on Messages in iCloud from Settings on your iPhone and iPad, or Preferences on your Mac.

Turn on Messages in iCloud

• Go to Settings.
  • Tap [your name].
  • Tap iCloud.
  • Turn on Messages.

Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support

6 replies

Aug 15, 2020 6:04 PM in response to Staticforce

iCloud is merely a syncing service. It is not off device storage. If you are syncing messages with iCloud, and you delete a message on your device, it is also deleted in iCloud and it’s gone for good. There is no 30 day grace period for texts.

Documents, Photos, Bookmarks, Reminders and Notes have somewhat of a grace period. Some of those files can be recovered in iCloud.com or the recently deleted folders or albums in Photos, iCloud Drive and Notes on your device.

It would be great if iCloud was true off device storage, but it’s not. Be careful what you delete. Archiving iCloud content is a good idea, but you need a computer.

Archive or make copies of the information you store in iCloud - Apple Support

Aug 15, 2020 5:53 PM in response to SravanKrA

I am now realizing the correlated question regarding iCloud usefulness vs uselessness.

Useful is a closet to store things you don’t have room for or need right away.

Useless is to discover you no longer have these coveted items when you get rid of the copies lying around your house.

My iPhone has limited space, thus the iCloud seems a wonderful additional option. So I’ve thought. However, once I delete a file, a photo or a note, or text conversation from my phone, is it still retained in iCloud that I can access at leisure. Or is all this data lost after a 30 day recovery period?

When I delete texts from my phone to free up space (So my phone will function), will the deleted texts still exist on the iCloud?

Thank you in Advance.

Are my text messages on my iPhone also saved to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.