Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update my iPad manually? It is saying there are no updates available.

I can't update my iPad to the latest iOS version

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 8:15 AM

This is quite likely because there isn’t an update available that is compatible with your iPad...

If your iPad is currently running, or cannot be updated beyond iOS 10.3.3/4, then have an iPad4.

Update support for iPad4 ended September 2017. The final iOS releases for this model were iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only models) and iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular). iPad4 cannot be updated to any later major version of iOS as it lacks the minimum hardware requirements needed to run more recent versions. The 32-bit system platform, upon which it is built, is effectively obsolete. New versions of iOS/iPadOS (and all current Apps) are designed for 64-bit devices.

Many App Developers have also dropped support for older devices and iOS versions preceding iOS11/12/13 - and have withdrawn older versions of their Apps from the Apple App Store. Withdrawal of Apps supporting older models of iPad is making their utility and usefulness significantly more limited. Once compatible versions Apps are withdrawn, you’ll not be able (re)download or (re)install them.

If Apps that you need to use now have higher minimum iOS-version requirements, your only option is to replace your iPad with newer model. Even the basic current iPad7 supports current iPadOS 13.x (and forthcoming iPadOS14) - and has hardware specifications and capabilities that will vastly outperform your old iPad4.

I hope this information is helpful - if only in clearly stating the limitations of your iPad4 and your available options.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2020 8:15 AM in response to Raven1126

This is quite likely because there isn’t an update available that is compatible with your iPad...

If your iPad is currently running, or cannot be updated beyond iOS 10.3.3/4, then have an iPad4.

Update support for iPad4 ended September 2017. The final iOS releases for this model were iOS 10.3.3 (WiFi Only models) and iOS 10.3.4 (WiFi & Cellular). iPad4 cannot be updated to any later major version of iOS as it lacks the minimum hardware requirements needed to run more recent versions. The 32-bit system platform, upon which it is built, is effectively obsolete. New versions of iOS/iPadOS (and all current Apps) are designed for 64-bit devices.

Many App Developers have also dropped support for older devices and iOS versions preceding iOS11/12/13 - and have withdrawn older versions of their Apps from the Apple App Store. Withdrawal of Apps supporting older models of iPad is making their utility and usefulness significantly more limited. Once compatible versions Apps are withdrawn, you’ll not be able (re)download or (re)install them.

If Apps that you need to use now have higher minimum iOS-version requirements, your only option is to replace your iPad with newer model. Even the basic current iPad7 supports current iPadOS 13.x (and forthcoming iPadOS14) - and has hardware specifications and capabilities that will vastly outperform your old iPad4.

I hope this information is helpful - if only in clearly stating the limitations of your iPad4 and your available options.

How do I update my iPad manually? It is saying there are no updates available.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.