Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can I send an sms message instead of an imessage

Posted on Aug 15, 2020 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 12:03 PM

I just did this and it worked perfectly. Care is required when doing it.

Roger Olson wrote:

When I turn off iMessage the Send with SMS option disappears

Yes, this is to be expected, as all messages are SMS without an iMessage option.

when iMessages are turned on it will not use SMS even though it is enabled.

This is incorrect. But you must take great care to be sure you’re set up to send as an SMS to this contact. You must of course use a cellular telephone number as the addressee, and be certain the top of the screen you’re composing with says “New Message” and not “New iMessage”.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2020 12:03 PM in response to Roger Olson

I just did this and it worked perfectly. Care is required when doing it.

Roger Olson wrote:

When I turn off iMessage the Send with SMS option disappears

Yes, this is to be expected, as all messages are SMS without an iMessage option.

when iMessages are turned on it will not use SMS even though it is enabled.

This is incorrect. But you must take great care to be sure you’re set up to send as an SMS to this contact. You must of course use a cellular telephone number as the addressee, and be certain the top of the screen you’re composing with says “New Message” and not “New iMessage”.

Aug 16, 2020 1:49 AM in response to sberman

That sounds good but it doesn't work. I've tried that several times back and forth. When I turn off iMessage the Send with SMS option disappears (which was already enabled) and when I try to text message it says that I cannot text unless I turn on iMessages. It basically won't text except when iMessages are turned on and when iMessages are turned on it will not use SMS even though it is enabled.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.