You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing region SIM lock (EMEA) from iPhone 6s

I've seen posts here about this from a couple years ago, but no clear solution. Some iPhones appear to be tied to particular regions and blocked elsewhere, even though there's no SIM lock applied by an individual mobile provider. This thread includes an entry (by spire88) that seems to describe the issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7083598

In my case I have an iPhone 6s, bought "unlocked" from a secondhand dealer in Germany. It accepts SIM cards from two independent European providers (Vodafone, and Lebara on the Telekom network), but for U.S. SIM cards, it gives the standard locked error:

"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. The

SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a

carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is

currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone."

I did an IMEI number search myself and also confirmed with Apple support that the phone is locked to "EMEA Service" (Europe Middle East Africa region) and not to any provider that I can request an unlock from. Vodafone (the service it was used with in Europe) says they haven't locked it and therefore can't do anything. Apple support said they can't do anything about it either. I hate to buy a new phone when I have a perfectly working one that just needs to be unlocked, but I can't identify anyone who has the ability/responsibility for unlocking it.

Has anyone resolved this? Do I just need to keep calling Apple to get to someone who can actually release the IMEI on this phone? Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 5:00 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Aug 19, 2020 5:05 PM in response to ckuan

Have it your way. My real beef is that the actual facts of my experience are being discounted by people who are either ignorant or self-important know-it-alls. Perhaps you are right that my problem won't be solved forever now, but it's a far cry better "help" than I've received here or from the relevant companies. Bye and good luck to you too.

Aug 16, 2020 5:25 PM in response to kb1951

I did call Apple, gave them the serial number, and they told me it's locked to EMEA, which is not a carrier but a region. They suggested that I contact the carrier it was used with in Europe (Vodafone), and I did that but they say they are not locking it. Apple customer service also suggested we try restoring the iPhone to factory settings. I tried that as well, but unsurprisingly it did not help.

Aug 16, 2020 5:44 PM in response to Micmacs

Whatever you were told.

This message:

"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. The

SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a

carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is

currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone."

It means the iPhone is locked to a carrier and only that carrier can officially unlock, not Apple or anyone.

Also note: Most carrier will only unlock if you are a customer, you got scammed with this "unlocked iPhone".

I suggest you return iPhone back to where you got the iPhone from.

There's nothing we can help you with, sorry.

Aug 16, 2020 7:04 PM in response to ckuan

That doesn't make sense. If it were locked to a carrier, both Vodafone and Lebara SIM cards would not be accepted by the iPhone, but they both are. Those are completely separate companies that operate on separate networks. Their networks are both in Europe though. If the phone were locked to a specific carrier, the Apple service people would've been able to identify the carrier that locked it, but they could not.

Aug 19, 2020 4:38 PM in response to ckuan

OK, Apple was quick to remove my post which actually described how I finally resolved this issue because it "discussed inappropriate activities." It is extremely frustrating that Apple will not at least acknowledge the nature of the lock that was on this phone- tell me, yes, your device has a region lock placed there for competitive business purposes, and we cannot recommend any way to remove it. Fine. I don't like it, but I can accept it and move on. Don't just tell me "the carrier" can fix it over and over. I did all I could to solve this in a way that was up front with both Apple and Vodafone (the carrier we used in Europe), contacting both companies multiple times. Vodafone said they did not put any lock on, and an online IMEI check and Apple rep IMEI check confirmed this. Apple reps say they can't do anything about this issue. The only solution Apple seems to sanction here is buying a new phone. We bought a used phone (from a widely-known reputable source) in the first place because we'd rather use an existing device that works than generate more e-waste and spend extra money. So much for that I guess.

Aug 19, 2020 4:50 PM in response to Micmacs

Your beef is that you bought a "locked" iPhone from a "widely-known reputable source".

Most carriers only unlock iPhone if you are a customer in good standing.

Otherwise they let you run around.

You should have return the iPhone and get one that is not locked (2nd hand or otherwise).

Modifying the lock status is not a support method and you'll back to square one once a new iOS update is available.

Online IMEI check is also not reliable and mostly scams.

Anyway, bye and good luck.

Removing region SIM lock (EMEA) from iPhone 6s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.