Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepod keeps disconnecting from Airplay

I just bought a Homepod today, but when I Airplay from iTunes on my Mac to all the speakers in my house, the Homepod keeps dropping out. I don’t understand how it’s an Apple product that can’t keep the connection. It’s very frustrating. My third party speakers never drop out.

I would like to fix this, but if I can’t, I’ll return it this week and get another brand.

Would appreciate any advice.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 6:34 PM

After several days trying with and without Apple tech support, I gave up and returned the HomePod and got a Sonos One Instead. There is no problem with Sonos and AirPlay.

I thought that an Apple product would have worked seamlessly with AirPlay, but it didn’t. It wasn’t worth the hassle to keep trying.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2020 6:34 PM in response to turingtest2

After several days trying with and without Apple tech support, I gave up and returned the HomePod and got a Sonos One Instead. There is no problem with Sonos and AirPlay.

I thought that an Apple product would have worked seamlessly with AirPlay, but it didn’t. It wasn’t worth the hassle to keep trying.

Aug 16, 2020 11:55 PM in response to yoel69

If your router supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio you may find that HomePod performs better when the 5GHz radio is disabled. Assuming that helps make sure that the 5GHz radio uses a separate SSID and forget that network from your iOS devices so that the credentials are no longer stored in iCloud Keychain before enabling it for use by other devices.

tt2

Aug 25, 2020 10:22 AM in response to turingtest2

I've read this sort of response about the HomePod and 2.4/5Ghz supported routers for some time. Yet, I have 4 HomePods in two stereo pairs with all of them connected to the 5GHz radio offered by my router (The router also has a 2.4GHz radio). I have never encountered any issues with them connected to the 5GHz radio. If it makes any difference, my router is an Orbi RBR50 which provides one SSID for both radios. No idea why some apparently have problems with other router setups.

Aug 26, 2020 11:02 AM in response to AZDreamer

AZDreamer,

Do you use just an Orbi router or a router / satellite pair? I ask because I have an Orbi router/satellite pair and it appears that the wifi back-haul channel used between the router and satellite interferes the wifi channel Apple uses to communicate between the homepods when they are in a stereo paired. The stereo pair works w/out problems as long as the satellite is turned off. Not long after turning on the satellite the pair will no longer be able to communicate.

Aug 26, 2020 1:02 PM in response to Dunkin'

I have the Orbi RBR50 router and one satellite RBS50. The satellite is connected to the router via wifi back-haul. FWIW, one of my paired Homepods is connected wirelessly to the routers 5GHz radio (Channel 48). Whereas the other pair is connected to the satellite - again to the 5GHz radio. I have no idea why your satellite apparently impacts your set-up. Only thing I can think of at the moment is to change your 5GHz channel and see if it makes a difference. Good luck!

Homepod keeps disconnecting from Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.