Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XR iMessage issues

I have an iPhone XR and i’ve noticed something odd lately. Within the past couple weeks. When i receive messages i usually reply via the lock screen. When I do this, iMessage does not work. When I open my phone and go to the message app, iMessage works. My phone only wants to send MMS messages through the lock screen and as soon as I unlock my phone and go to the message app it senses that I want to send via iMessage.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 8:58 PM

1 reply

Aug 17, 2020 2:30 PM in response to Zyarbro

Hey there, Zyarbro!

It sounds like you can't send iMessage responses on the Lock screen and it only allows you to send SMS messages to respond. We've got some suggestions to help out!

First, check that iMessage is enabled properly and activated using our steps here: About iMessage and SMS/MMS

Keep in mind, on the iPhone X or later, or an iPad with Face ID, can't reply on the Lock screen unless you go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode to turn on 'Reply with Message'. This is discussed under section, "Reply from the Lock Screen" here: Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

That should get you moving in the right direction.

Wishing you the best!

iPhone XR iMessage issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.