Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you change music quality of Apple Music on the Mac?

I have macOS 10.1.5.6 Catalina over here. Is there any way to lower the streaming music quality on the Apple Music app on the Mac.

I'm on a bandwidth conscious scenario right now (but very fast internet), and I would like to control my music quality even to just 128kbps for now. I think I'm good with that. So I don't get to ran up my quota right now.

Can you please confirm : Does Apple Music auto adjust music quality based on your internet speed right now? Or does it always load up the most HiFi, most highest quality version of that song. Because Apple apparently cares more on the quality and detail?

I wanna ask the same thing if this is possible on the Apple TV 4K too. Or the Apple Music in the web (can you confirm this as well : that the Apple Music in the web streams much lower quality than the native apps?)

If not : I would like to ask a feature request to control these options on any Apple Music app, on any platform Apple supports. For the user's sakes.

If this is not the place to file a feature request to Apple Music, please direct me so.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 5:53 PM

If not : I would like to ask a feature request to control these options on any Apple Music app, on any platform Apple supports. For the user's sakes.

If this is not the place to file a feature request to Apple Music, please direct me so.

Mancerrss,

Apple Music streams at 256 kbps.

Here is the link to provide product feedback directly to Apple:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2020 5:53 PM in response to Mancerrss

Mancerrss,

Apple Music streams at 256 kbps.

Here is the link to provide product feedback directly to Apple:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Aug 22, 2020 6:31 AM in response to Mancerrss

Mancerrs,

I believe the iOS and Android apps have a setting that allows the streaming bitrate to be reduced in order to save cellular data when there is no WiFi.

If you are asking about getting more than 256 kbps (i.e. hi-def), that option does not exist in Apple Music, but is offered on other music streaming services such as Tidal and Qobuz.

Can you change music quality of Apple Music on the Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.