Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very slow ipad, model no A1396

My I pad is very slow. How can I fix this?

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 6:22 AM

Your second generation iPad2 is now very old - with very limited capabilities and resources. Any major performance issues are unlikely to be resolvable.

Your very old iPad2 can only be updated to iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models) or iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular models).

Apple ended update support for iPad2 in September 2016. iPad2 cannot be updated to iOS 10 or later major versions of iOS, as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for new versions of iOS/iPadOS. This limitation cannot be bypassed - in addition to which, iPad2 is a 32-bit architecture device, whilst all recent versions of iOS/iPadOS are designed for 64-bit hardware platforms.

You may wish to consider that compatible Apps for your iPad are increasingly difficult to find - as third-party developers are increasingly dropping support for older versions of iOS preceding iOS11/12/13. As older versions of Apps are removed from the Apple App Store, you’ll not be able to (re)download or install them. Exercise caution with the temptation to reset your iPad - as currently installed Apps are now unlikely to be available for your iPad2.

If you want or need to access most current Apps, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model.

If current models, even the entry-level iPad7 (the nearest direct equivalent to your iPad2) will massively outperform you current iPad - and is compatible with the vast majority of current Apps designed for iPadOS13 and the soon to be released iPadOS14.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity as to your available options - and the limitations of your current iPad2.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2020 6:22 AM in response to hennie96

Your second generation iPad2 is now very old - with very limited capabilities and resources. Any major performance issues are unlikely to be resolvable.

Your very old iPad2 can only be updated to iOS 9.3.5 (WiFi Only models) or iOS 9.3.6 (WiFi & Cellular models).

Apple ended update support for iPad2 in September 2016. iPad2 cannot be updated to iOS 10 or later major versions of iOS, as the internal hardware does not meet the minimum technical requirements for new versions of iOS/iPadOS. This limitation cannot be bypassed - in addition to which, iPad2 is a 32-bit architecture device, whilst all recent versions of iOS/iPadOS are designed for 64-bit hardware platforms.

You may wish to consider that compatible Apps for your iPad are increasingly difficult to find - as third-party developers are increasingly dropping support for older versions of iOS preceding iOS11/12/13. As older versions of Apps are removed from the Apple App Store, you’ll not be able to (re)download or install them. Exercise caution with the temptation to reset your iPad - as currently installed Apps are now unlikely to be available for your iPad2.

If you want or need to access most current Apps, you’ll need to consider replacement of your iPad with a newer or current model.

If current models, even the entry-level iPad7 (the nearest direct equivalent to your iPad2) will massively outperform you current iPad - and is compatible with the vast majority of current Apps designed for iPadOS13 and the soon to be released iPadOS14.

I hope this information provides helpful clarity as to your available options - and the limitations of your current iPad2.

Aug 17, 2020 6:30 AM in response to hennie96

Tap on the link below to my iDevice/iOS performance/optimisation user tips link.

Slow iPad on iOS 9, 10 or 11! - Apple Community

Try all of these tips and leave each tip active together.

DO NOT simply try every tip individually, expecting just one tip to be a performance “cure all”.

Many of these tips are designed to work together to help improve overall iOS/iDevice performance.

Good Luck!

Very slow ipad, model no A1396

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.