Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15" - fully charge but battery only can use for 3 hours

Hi,

I had issue with my MacBook Pro battery. I bought the MacBook Pro 15" 2019 from Jan 2019 and not used it often. But now the battery just can be used around 3hours after fully charge. Is there anyone who had the same problem with me?

I don't really understand why it happens. Before this one, I used a MacBook Pro from 2011 until Jan 2019 and after 8 years, I still can used it with more than 4hours after fully charge.

Below is the charge information. Could anyone show me how can I fix the problem?

Thank you so much for your support.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 7:34 AM

Regarding you battery information, your full capacity should be around 7000 7300 mAh, so it's not that far from the theory. What is the battery heath status in %? That might have been drained a bit, but only 3 hours is kinda low anyway for a battery this age.

Keep in mind this numbers are an estimate.

Moving on, here's a list of things you can try

1 - Reset SMC and NVRAM

2 - Perform a battery calibration after reset SMC. Charge it all the way, keep it 2 more hours plugged in, use it normally 'til it dries out, keep it unplugged for like 5h so it drains the residual energy, then fully charge it again. This calibrates the energy management.

3 - Boot into Safe Mode by holding Shift at startup. It takes several minutes to boot while macOS gives itself some health care. Once it's up you can restart normally and check if something gets better.

4 - Create a new user, set it up and play with it to see if something changes there. If it does, move over your data and delete the old user.

5 - Last shot software wise, reinstall macOS. Do not recover from Time Machine, Migration, etc. Do it the old way Command C Command V to avoid bringing back settings and corrupted files that might mess up with the system.

Remember that apps like Chrome, Meet, Zoom, Skype they drain a lot power. If you're a heavy user of this kind of apps, they hit the battery very hard.

Other than that, you'll need a hardware check, maybe battery replacement.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2020 7:34 AM in response to thaonqv

Regarding you battery information, your full capacity should be around 7000 7300 mAh, so it's not that far from the theory. What is the battery heath status in %? That might have been drained a bit, but only 3 hours is kinda low anyway for a battery this age.

Keep in mind this numbers are an estimate.

Moving on, here's a list of things you can try

1 - Reset SMC and NVRAM

2 - Perform a battery calibration after reset SMC. Charge it all the way, keep it 2 more hours plugged in, use it normally 'til it dries out, keep it unplugged for like 5h so it drains the residual energy, then fully charge it again. This calibrates the energy management.

3 - Boot into Safe Mode by holding Shift at startup. It takes several minutes to boot while macOS gives itself some health care. Once it's up you can restart normally and check if something gets better.

4 - Create a new user, set it up and play with it to see if something changes there. If it does, move over your data and delete the old user.

5 - Last shot software wise, reinstall macOS. Do not recover from Time Machine, Migration, etc. Do it the old way Command C Command V to avoid bringing back settings and corrupted files that might mess up with the system.

Remember that apps like Chrome, Meet, Zoom, Skype they drain a lot power. If you're a heavy user of this kind of apps, they hit the battery very hard.

Other than that, you'll need a hardware check, maybe battery replacement.

MacBook Pro 15" - fully charge but battery only can use for 3 hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.