Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop disappeared

My desktop disappeared after installing updates. I only got an icon with a disc on a desktop . How can I retrieve my desktop?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 11:58 AM

agata83 Said:

"Desktop disappeared My desktop disappeared after installing updates. I only got an icon with a disc on a desktop . How can I retrieve my desktop?"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

1. First, Back up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

2. Then, Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2020 11:58 AM in response to agata83

agata83 Said:

"Desktop disappeared My desktop disappeared after installing updates. I only got an icon with a disc on a desktop . How can I retrieve my desktop?"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

1. First, Back up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

2. Then, Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Desktop disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.