You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use a MacBook as an external monitor?

I have a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air, both running Catalina. I want to use one of them as a second monitor for the other. How do I do that?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 1:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 2:45 PM

I'm not sure that's possible. I mean, you can use an separate external monitor with your MacBook Air or with your other kinds of Macs, providing you have the right adapters, in closed display mode, and you can use certain iPads as an external monitor utilizing Apple's SideCar feature, but I am not certain that you can use one laptop, open, as an external monitor for a second open laptop.

But if it can be done, someone on here has no doubt done it and they'll swoop in for sure. :-) Otherwise, if you have a SIdeCar compatible iPad around, maybe that might work.

-- JDee

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 17, 2020 2:45 PM in response to anothersmurf

I'm not sure that's possible. I mean, you can use an separate external monitor with your MacBook Air or with your other kinds of Macs, providing you have the right adapters, in closed display mode, and you can use certain iPads as an external monitor utilizing Apple's SideCar feature, but I am not certain that you can use one laptop, open, as an external monitor for a second open laptop.

But if it can be done, someone on here has no doubt done it and they'll swoop in for sure. :-) Otherwise, if you have a SIdeCar compatible iPad around, maybe that might work.

-- JDee

How do I use a MacBook as an external monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.