Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

printing from ipad

do i need an apple app. to print from my ipad without wifi? I would also like to be able to print when away from home and on the move without wifi connections.

what do I need?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 11:48 PM

2 replies

Aug 18, 2020 2:03 AM in response to Lizziecr

Print capabilities of iOS/iPadOS are limited, being confined to AirPrint.

The fundamental issue is that, unlike many Operating Systems, iPad doesn’t have the ability to add Print Driver software for a wired printer - this being a prerequisite of being able to send print output to a physical printer over a wired connection.

The built-in driver software is “AirPrint”, this being a standard that is supported by many domestic printers - but is essentially limited to WiFi. The printer either joins the your home WiFi network - and provides print services to that network - or it creates its own ad-hoc WiFi network (with no internet connectivity) to which your iPad can “join” and send its print-jobs.

So, if your printer is a WiFi printer that supports AirPrint, you should be able to print from your iPad. If not, then it gets much more complicated.

Note also that many printer manufacturers produce their own Print App for their printers. These still, generally, have reliance upon AirPrint for their functioning. Have a look for a matching Print App for your Printer in the App Store; this will perhaps give you a better idea of your Printer’s capabilities.

I hope this information and guidance proves to be helpful in outlining what you can - and perhaps more importantly, can not - do with your printer and iPad.

printing from ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.