Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water Damage!!!

I'm soooo frustrated with Apple right now. They should not advertise their devices as waterproof and demonstrate them going underwater for minutes at a time when truly they aren't. I take really good care of my devices and recently took my iPhone XS into water to shoot some video. Not more than 10 seconds at a time and never more than 2 or 3 feet. An hour later my phone went on the fritz and died. I took out the SIM card and let it dry out for 3 days and nothing. it's almost been a week now and it's still dead. I'm ******! I would have never taken it in the water if they hadn't advertised it. Their marketing should be, "technically it is waterproof so you have the peace of mind that if you drop it in the sink, or pool you can quickly retrieve it and it will be fine, but don't ever intentionally take your phone into the water."

Now what can I do? I have no idea but my phone is only about 18 months old. Can it be fixed and fairly inexpensively?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 6:24 AM

Apple do not advertise devices as waterproof. The term used is water resistant

This is classed as accidental damage and will not be covered under your warranty 

I'm sorry to bring you bad news however you can fully understand what water resistance actually means with the help article below.

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2020 6:24 AM in response to Builderboyaz

Apple do not advertise devices as waterproof. The term used is water resistant

This is classed as accidental damage and will not be covered under your warranty 

I'm sorry to bring you bad news however you can fully understand what water resistance actually means with the help article below.

About splash, water, and dust resistance of iPhone 7 and later - Apple Support

Aug 18, 2020 6:31 AM in response to Builderboyaz

I had this same issue. We were down in the keys on family vacation and I took a few photos under the water at the reef. My phone fried a few hours later. Luckily I sent all the photos I took to my Facebook before it died because it wouldn't connect to WiFi to back up on the cloud. I have apple care so it was $99 dollars to replace it but i had to pay an $800 hold, which was very inconvenient. They should advertise differently being that not all customers can afford to pay for a new phone because of a simple mistake. I did find in fine print that it is not recommended to take photos under water but that was after the fact. Best of luck, I am not sure if the phone can be fixed elsewhere. I am currently thinking of switching to android after the week I have had with apple, nothing has been easy.

Water Damage!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.