Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot control volume on Apple TV using iPhone

I have Apple TV 4K and I am able to control TV's volume through HDMI cable using the native remote control. Sometimes I can't find the native remote and prefer to use the iPhone Apple TV remote app. It is fully operable with exception of volume control. The app lacks on-screen volume buttons, but this support article says that hardware buttons on side of an iOS device must control volume (which they don't). Also following this article I checked that Volume in Remotes and Devices is set to Auto (and actually is greyed and cannot be changed). Also I guess that as long as the native remote control does control the volume, my TV is compatible with this feature. Can this be fixed?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 10:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2020 11:20 PM

The volume control through the Apple TV Remote app, using the side buttons, is available only for when using an AV receiver that supports volume control over HDMI-CEC. The Apple TV box receives the signal through the home network, then relays that through CEC.

The physical Apple Remote uses IR to send the volume control signal directly to the TV (or receiver); not to the Apple TV box (when the above doesn’t apply). Your iPhone is not able to send an IR signal.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2020 11:20 PM in response to greatvovan

The volume control through the Apple TV Remote app, using the side buttons, is available only for when using an AV receiver that supports volume control over HDMI-CEC. The Apple TV box receives the signal through the home network, then relays that through CEC.

The physical Apple Remote uses IR to send the volume control signal directly to the TV (or receiver); not to the Apple TV box (when the above doesn’t apply). Your iPhone is not able to send an IR signal.

Aug 22, 2020 11:17 AM in response to greatvovan

The physical Siri remote is designed to work control different TV's volume. It is not the same as trying to use one TV's remote to control another. Your question was regarding using the remote app on your iPhone. That hardware is not capable of sending IR and thus it can only work with HDMI CEC. Volume control via CEC is only supported on receivers, and it will require that the device be connected directly to it.

Aug 22, 2020 11:46 AM in response to vazandrew

Guys, thanks, but it is not necessary to repeat what has already been said :-) The first response actually answers my question, but it does not mean that I can't have additional questions.

I am just curious how exactly it is implemented that the remote controls volume on a TV of not specified brand. Does it send signals for all known brands? Can the main device send information about the TV to the remote? Other options?

Aug 22, 2020 11:54 AM in response to greatvovan

Yes, as I said it is designed to work with different TV's. This is a user forum, if you want more specifics then you can contact Apple.

It will only be used to control volume over IR with the TV. The other functions are tied to the Apple TV. CEC is built on communication between the TV and Apple TV (i.e. once the remote wakes up the Apple TV it will then allow the connected TV to also turn on and switch to the appropriate input).

Cannot control volume on Apple TV using iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.