Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password Reset for Child on Family Sharing

How do I reset password for my child's apple ID? I enter child's username (icloud email) and click forgot password. It has me enter my phone number (child does not have a phone). I reset the password, but it resets MY apple ID password and not my child's.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 11:24 AM

UPDATE - Resolved hopefully! I was on phone with Apple Support for 2 hours. We finally got the child's apple ID into account recovery mode so will go through that process to recover and reset password. I think where the mix up happened was using the same rescue email for child account as for my account (and maybe adding my phone number to child account also mixed things up). We were in a perpetual loop resetting my password, not child's, about 15 different times and could not even sign out (the button was grayed) of the child account. Now just waiting for recovery message that may take awhile....

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 11:24 AM in response to koby4610

UPDATE - Resolved hopefully! I was on phone with Apple Support for 2 hours. We finally got the child's apple ID into account recovery mode so will go through that process to recover and reset password. I think where the mix up happened was using the same rescue email for child account as for my account (and maybe adding my phone number to child account also mixed things up). We were in a perpetual loop resetting my password, not child's, about 15 different times and could not even sign out (the button was grayed) of the child account. Now just waiting for recovery message that may take awhile....

Aug 19, 2020 7:56 AM in response to Eric Root

It does not give me an option for a rescue email address, only to confirm my phone number used for this apple ID (my phone #). It looks like for my apple ID, I have two-factor authentication on if that makes a difference. Once I enter my phone number (on laptop icloud.com forgot password), it sends a notice to my phone to 'Use this phone to reset your Apple ID password.' When I tap allow and change the password, it changes my password for my apple ID, not my child's apple ID (even though I entered the child's apple ID in the username field for forgot password).

Password Reset for Child on Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.