Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upload photos from camera to iMac

Have recently had troubles getting RAW photos to load into No Name (under Pictures) folder. I open Photos, I activate Review on my camera, and I use a cord to connect the two.

But photos only load to Photos (three locations note the success), not to that other, useable, folder.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 4:45 PM

Makes more sense. There are some USB cables out there that actually don’t support data connections and only work for charging. I would first make sure you’re not running into that. Next, and I can’t speak specifics for Canon cameras, some digital cameras when connected by USB need to be in a particular mode to start that process. Pressing the Preview button may be one step of that but there may also be a setting that controls how the camera presents itself to the computer that needs to be changed. Generally, some cameras support a mass storage mode or a camera/USB mode. The difference is whether the computer should see the camera as a storage drive or a camera it can control. Normally, you want the mass storage mode.

The “No Name” you’re used to clicking in the sidebar is what you get when you plug in an SD card without a name. Clicking it would bring up the import screen to import your photos. It should work the same with the camera connected except it may be named with your camera model instead. But first you need to get it connected properly by verifying the right type of cable, that the settings for your camera are correct and that it’s in a mode to allow the USB connection from the computer.

Also, since you mention it, to reduce the risk of damaging an SD card, be sure to eject it using the on-screen eject command before physically removing it from a computer. If it’s in a camera be sure the device is powered off and that any flashing lights on the camera have stopped flashing which could indicate that data is still being written to the card.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 4:45 PM in response to cafox513

Makes more sense. There are some USB cables out there that actually don’t support data connections and only work for charging. I would first make sure you’re not running into that. Next, and I can’t speak specifics for Canon cameras, some digital cameras when connected by USB need to be in a particular mode to start that process. Pressing the Preview button may be one step of that but there may also be a setting that controls how the camera presents itself to the computer that needs to be changed. Generally, some cameras support a mass storage mode or a camera/USB mode. The difference is whether the computer should see the camera as a storage drive or a camera it can control. Normally, you want the mass storage mode.

The “No Name” you’re used to clicking in the sidebar is what you get when you plug in an SD card without a name. Clicking it would bring up the import screen to import your photos. It should work the same with the camera connected except it may be named with your camera model instead. But first you need to get it connected properly by verifying the right type of cable, that the settings for your camera are correct and that it’s in a mode to allow the USB connection from the computer.

Also, since you mention it, to reduce the risk of damaging an SD card, be sure to eject it using the on-screen eject command before physically removing it from a computer. If it’s in a camera be sure the device is powered off and that any flashing lights on the camera have stopped flashing which could indicate that data is still being written to the card.

Aug 19, 2020 4:26 PM in response to Pete-Progressive-Graphics

Step by step (to the point of risking boring you): I have a Canon digital camera that shoots RAW format. Great for what I need. I was taught to open Photos before sending new photos over (and Photos wants all new stuff to be uploaded to a No Name under Pictures), and to hit the Preview button on the camera. But when I try to send photos from camera to my iMac (10.15.6 Catalina), using a cord*, No Name seems to be invisible. It used to work fine with inserting just the SD card into the computer . . . but after I ruined another not-cheap SD card by popping it into and out of camera and computer, I tried cord only.

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing the iMac doesn't much like my cord, and demands I put the card in. Does that make sense?

Aug 19, 2020 5:35 PM in response to PhillipU

Thanks so much for that. In the good old days I would have driven over to the camera shop to check . . . but I guess I'll harass Canon USA instead and see what they can tell me.

Got the photos in. But I wrote out the sequence required to go through something I think should be a bit simpler. Should I upload that? Three paragraphs . . .

Upload photos from camera to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.