Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the battery capacity decreases

Why does the battery capacity decrease?

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 9:46 AM

Over time, the lithium-ion batteries will degrade from use. it has to do with the reaction of using and charging the battery, the cathode will wear over time.

check out this link for help with batteries.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/

7 replies

Aug 19, 2020 9:52 AM in response to Troybolton_hsm

So, if a battery has decreased capacity, does that mean that when charged, it won't power as fully, or just that the charge will dissipate sooner? I have an iPhone7, & it says that the battery capacity is just at 75%, and I'm curious as to whether it may affect the quality of calls, like the connection or volume, since I can't hear people talking very well.

Aug 19, 2020 10:01 AM in response to Saxman

Saxman wrote:

So, if a battery has decreased capacity, does that mean that when charged, it won't power as fully, or just that the charge will dissipate sooner? I have an iPhone7, & it says that the battery capacity is just at 75%, and I'm curious as to whether it may affect the quality of calls, like the connection or volume, since I can't hear people talking very well.

The system software will automatically "throttle" your phone to prevent sudden shutdowns. This means it will operate more slowly. It shouldn't affect the call quality or volume.

Aug 19, 2020 10:37 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I get that, and will be replacing it (however my local Apple Store's been closed for months), but what makes it considered "past its useful life" if a low level just means it won't hold a charge as long. Since I don't use many power-intensive apps, I don't have to charge it more than once a day, so it's not really affecting my usage. IdrisSeabright says the system software will "throttle my phone", thus operate more slowly. I just wonder how I would notice that, as it seems to work OK. Perhaps if it were stronger, webpages would open a second or two sooner?

Aug 19, 2020 10:47 AM in response to Saxman

Saxman wrote:

Since I don't use many power-intensive apps, I don't have to charge it more than once a day, so it's not really affecting my usage. IdrisSeabright says the system software will "throttle my phone", thus operate more slowly. I just wonder how I would notice that, as it seems to work OK. Perhaps if it were stronger, webpages would open a second or two sooner?

You may not notice it at all if you're not doing anything processor intensive. But yes, switching apps will take longer, you may notice a lag in anything graphic intensive like a game. I can almost guarantee, though, that if you have the. battery replaced, you'll feel as if you have a brand new phone. The battery capacity on my iPhone 7 Plus dropped to just below 80% but, it seemed fine. When I got the new battery, I was astounded at how much snappier it was.

Of course, if you're having other problems, it may cost you more to have the phone serviced than the $49 for the battery. In that case, you're going to want to think about how much longer you plan on keeping the phone and whether it's worth it. If I hadn't subsequently dropped the phone and smashed the screen, I'd probably still be using the iPhone 7 Plus. I decided, at that point, I'd rather put my money toward a new phone. The person to whom I gave the iPhone 7 Plus had the screen fixed and is very happy to have a replacement for her iPhone SE.

Why does the battery capacity decreases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.