Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

word and excel 32 but upgrade

I now have Catalina but Word and Excel are 32 bit. If I upgrade "Office' will all my current documents in Word and Excel on my laptop be able to be opened, used and modified?

I upgraded to Catalina but my excel and word are 32 bit. If I go to the ap store and get new ones will all my word and excel files on my laptop be able to be used and modified?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2020 3:39 PM

Right-click (control-key + click) any any of your Office app icons in Applications folder and select "Get Info". If the copyright date is 2016 you're in luck, and you can update your Office 2016 from the older 32-bit version, to a newer (Catalina-compatible) 64-bit version of Office 2016.

If your copyright date is anything older than 2016 you will have to purchase a new version of MS Office or look at one of the alternatives.

If your copyright date does equal exactly 2016 in the "Get Info" window then use the "Manual Update" file on Microsoft's website here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/office-for-mac/office-2016-for-mac-64-bit-upgrade

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2020 3:39 PM in response to davidson240

Right-click (control-key + click) any any of your Office app icons in Applications folder and select "Get Info". If the copyright date is 2016 you're in luck, and you can update your Office 2016 from the older 32-bit version, to a newer (Catalina-compatible) 64-bit version of Office 2016.

If your copyright date is anything older than 2016 you will have to purchase a new version of MS Office or look at one of the alternatives.

If your copyright date does equal exactly 2016 in the "Get Info" window then use the "Manual Update" file on Microsoft's website here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/office-for-mac/office-2016-for-mac-64-bit-upgrade

word and excel 32 but upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.