Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My 12.9" 2nd-gen iPad Pro are having these weird stains

I never pressed so hard when using the iPad, I also never use it when I eat, it's original iPad which bought in Australia.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 4:25 AM

The “stains” you see are oils from you fingers - that are adhering to the anti-glare surface of your iPad screen. The oleophobic treatment, designed to reduce finger marks, is a sacrificial coating that does wear-out over time.

Here is Apple’s official guidance as to cleaning Apple devices and accessories - including iPad and its screen:

How to clean your Apple products – Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2020 4:25 AM in response to teatilla

The “stains” you see are oils from you fingers - that are adhering to the anti-glare surface of your iPad screen. The oleophobic treatment, designed to reduce finger marks, is a sacrificial coating that does wear-out over time.

Here is Apple’s official guidance as to cleaning Apple devices and accessories - including iPad and its screen:

How to clean your Apple products – Apple Support

Aug 20, 2020 5:56 AM in response to teatilla

If used heavily over that period of time, it is very possible that the surface coating is beginning to deteriorate through use. Similarly, the nature of you handling and cleaning (or lack of cleaning) of the iPad screen will likely impact the lifespan of the oleophobic coating.

Regular and gentle cleaning - coupled with clean hands (avoiding use of creams or other emollient products) will help with keeping the screen clean and free of oil marks. A good quality screen protector is also useful in preserving the original screen finish.

My 12.9" 2nd-gen iPad Pro are having these weird stains

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.