Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos library update

on my late 2013 iMac Updated to Catalina and was informed I needed to update my "photos" app as well. My photos are stored on an external Hard Drive. 20 hours later and I'm at 65%. Is this normal?

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 8:20 AM

Depends on how big the library is, how fast the drive is and how it's connected. A slow mechanical drive connected to a USB hub that is then connected to the Mac can really slow things down. And that's assuming everything is USB 3. Throw USB 2 in the mix and you've got some waiting to do. And if the library is really large (> 1TB), then yeah, it can take many, many hours for the library update to complete.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2020 8:20 AM in response to flawlessnyc

Depends on how big the library is, how fast the drive is and how it's connected. A slow mechanical drive connected to a USB hub that is then connected to the Mac can really slow things down. And that's assuming everything is USB 3. Throw USB 2 in the mix and you've got some waiting to do. And if the library is really large (> 1TB), then yeah, it can take many, many hours for the library update to complete.

photos library update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.