Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change wrong default setting in iMovie?

Every time, I mean every time, when I edit a movie in iMovie, I need to render it again, since iMovie stupidly forces 'crop to fill' aspect ratio... when I am creating a desktop screen video, it always cuts the edges and it looks very bad. I am not sure what is the reason behind forcing this setting by apple, but maybe there is a possibility to change the setting to more normal 'fit' for each new project without too much coding this time...?

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 8:14 AM

Hi, Piotr Kowal,

Go to iMovie/Preferences and set the Photo Placement default setting to Fit. The setting will apply to all projects created after you changed the setting.

Also, as you probably know, you can always select a clip and then click on the crop button (the one that looks like intersecting angles) in the tool box at the upper right hand corner of your screen. In the controls that appear you can set the default to Fit, Crop to Fill, or Ken Burns. That will change the default for the selected clips.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2020 8:14 AM in response to Piotr Kowal

Hi, Piotr Kowal,

Go to iMovie/Preferences and set the Photo Placement default setting to Fit. The setting will apply to all projects created after you changed the setting.

Also, as you probably know, you can always select a clip and then click on the crop button (the one that looks like intersecting angles) in the tool box at the upper right hand corner of your screen. In the controls that appear you can set the default to Fit, Crop to Fill, or Ken Burns. That will change the default for the selected clips.

-- Rich

Aug 20, 2020 8:36 AM in response to Rich839

That's not the right answer.

First it says about photos.

Second, I have there 'ken burns' by default, and still adding a movie to the timeline makes it 'crop to fill'.

Third: I know I can change it clip by clip, but I asked for a default solution not to force this 'crop to fill' in the first place. When I am adding 15-20 screen recordings, this is somehow stupid to go one by one and change the setting manually for each one.

Any other suggestions?

Aug 20, 2020 8:48 AM in response to Piotr Kowal

It IS the right answer. The "Photo" default designation in iMovie preferences applies to both photos and videos. When you change the setting the setting will not apply to existing projects, but only to projects created after you change the setting, as I said. I'm not sure off hand, but you may need to close and restart iMovie after making the settings change.

Try again and see if it works correctly with a new project created after you make the settings change. If it doesn't work then iMovie is not functioning properly. In that case, dry deleting preferences. To do that, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen

your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the default setting procedure works.

-- Rich

How to change wrong default setting in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.