Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 27" iMac wont turn on after installing RAM

I just got my 2020 27" iMac with 8gb (2x4gb modules.)

When I got it I moved one 4gb module to slot one. Then installed 2 new 32gb modules in slots 3 and 4. So, basically....

1. Slot 1 - 4gb original module
  2. Slot 2 - 4gb original module
  3. Slot 3 - new 32gb module
  4. Slot 4 - new 32gb module

The ram I purchased was "Samsung 32GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM Memory Module for Laptop Computers (260 Pin SODIMM, 1.2V) M471A4G43MB1"..... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N124XDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know it's fully compatible.

I turned on the Mac and NOTHING. No beeping, no booting, no apple, nothing.

I took the Samsung ram out and it boots up.

Then to test if one stick was bad, one at a time, I only added ONE new 32gb ram stick. It wouldn't boot up at all when the Samsung ram is in there.

Any ideas? I doubt that BOTH of my brand new ram sticks were bad. Please help!

(In the meantime, I also order OWC ram so hopefully this will work better.)

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 11:12 AM

Aha,from that link...

I put two 32 gb modules (total 64 gb) in my new 2019 iMac 27. Initially I installed it with the original eight gb from Apple and the computer would not power up at all. I had to remove the Apple RAM and install the Samsung memory only and it works fine So, apparently there are some conflicts with mixing the two. They work fine when they are installed alone. However, I have 64 gb in two slots and still have two slots open to add more if I wanted t

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2020 11:12 AM in response to WebDevGuy

Aha,from that link...

I put two 32 gb modules (total 64 gb) in my new 2019 iMac 27. Initially I installed it with the original eight gb from Apple and the computer would not power up at all. I had to remove the Apple RAM and install the Samsung memory only and it works fine So, apparently there are some conflicts with mixing the two. They work fine when they are installed alone. However, I have 64 gb in two slots and still have two slots open to add more if I wanted t

2020 27" iMac wont turn on after installing RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.