Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari locked passwords?

Has anyone figured out a way to get around the "feature" in Safari that has crippled the easy use of passwords?

This thing of having to do my user password to unlock Safari passwords -- then to hunt for the one I want is a PIA.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 10:38 AM

4 replies

Aug 20, 2020 12:06 PM in response to Gregory Jones1

I'm afraid that, for security purposes, access to the list of saved login/passwords will not be granted without typing in your user password.

But you do not have to "hunt" for the desired username/password. If it has been setup correctly, once you visit the website, Safari should Autofill your user name and password for that website. You are in essence just required to click login and voila ... you should be in.

See how it's done here: Autofill your user name and password in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 20, 2020 3:12 PM in response to Gregory Jones1

As far as my personal experience has been, it is supposed to be only once per session: when you login. That should be it, that is sufficient to indicate to mac OS (regardless of what Mac you use, Touch Bar or not) that the user's identity has been verified, so Safari can autofill the usernames and passwords.

If for some reason you leave your Mac idle and the screensaver kicks in, you might have to enter your password again to resume working, but this setting can be changed (I do not recommend it - especially if others can access your machine whilst your away)

This is implied in the support article, I referenced, and I quote from it:

"Important: Safari autofills your information for anyone who uses your Mac with your user login. It also autofills your information for anyone who uses your other devices, if those devices and your Mac have iCloud Keychain set up.

For security, set up your Mac to display the login window when it starts up and to require a password after sleep or a screen saver begins. Set up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch to require a passcode to unlock the screen.

Tip: If you use iCloud Keychain to keep information safe on your Mac and other devices, you can use AutoFill to enter previously saved user names and passwords on all those devices."

safari locked passwords?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.