Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scan barcodes with camera fails

Why doesn’t the iOS camera app scan a barcode but QR scan works perfectly?

iPhone X

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 11:42 AM

The iDevice camera is capable of physically (optically) scanning both - barcodes and QR codes. (Sidenote: QR codes are easier to scan than barcodes.)

But iOS has not being programmed (software) to enable reading (interpreting) barcodes. Usually, barcodes are linked to a database against which the barcode is interpreted/decoded.

On the App Store, you will find 3rd party apps which are able to link to the right database and decode the barcode. You could install these kind of apps to do that.

Also, FYI: There are many applications in which there is no definitive correct choice between barcodes and QR codes. When you simply need to store an item identification number or connect to information in a database about a product or item, barcodes are a suitable choice.

When you need to store larger amounts of data and make that information accessible to others who do not have access to the database where additional information is stored, QR codes are a valuable tool for making such information easily accessible. 

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2020 11:42 AM in response to Allen RS

The iDevice camera is capable of physically (optically) scanning both - barcodes and QR codes. (Sidenote: QR codes are easier to scan than barcodes.)

But iOS has not being programmed (software) to enable reading (interpreting) barcodes. Usually, barcodes are linked to a database against which the barcode is interpreted/decoded.

On the App Store, you will find 3rd party apps which are able to link to the right database and decode the barcode. You could install these kind of apps to do that.

Also, FYI: There are many applications in which there is no definitive correct choice between barcodes and QR codes. When you simply need to store an item identification number or connect to information in a database about a product or item, barcodes are a suitable choice.

When you need to store larger amounts of data and make that information accessible to others who do not have access to the database where additional information is stored, QR codes are a valuable tool for making such information easily accessible. 

Sep 15, 2020 6:51 PM in response to Noosa58

Noosa58 wrote:

Hi Siabh,
You say above
"The iDevice camera is capable of physically (optically) scanning both - barcodes and QR codes. (Sidenote: QR codes are easier to scan than barcodes.)" I have tried for over an hour to scan a "barcode" and not once has it scanned? does scan QR codes.

Yes, the camera is "optically" able to scan a barcode. When I say optically I mean the camera hardware (lens) can see/capture the barcode. However, the interpretation of that barcode and its corresponding result is done by the iDevice software - either iOS or an installed app. iOS software only gives results for QR codes not barcodes. For barcodes, you have to install a third party appropriate app.

As an example, you may have some luck with this one: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/barcode-scanners/id504201315

You also say "On the App Store, you will find 3rd party apps which are able to link to the right database and decode the barcode. You could install these kind of apps to do that." Sure they will scan the barcode and it sits on the screen of the barcode app doing nothing.

As I mentioned earlier, the barcode app if linked to the "applicable" database will be able to furnish results after interpreting the barcode. If it doesn't have access or is not able to locate the applicable database - it will not give you results - it will perhaps just display the barcode and "sit there". The app I have referenced above, has a web-search option which tries to search the "applicable" database and provide results.

What I would like to see happen is, I have an app with a field into which I want to scan the numbers only of a barcode ( the app will associate the numbers to the database. All the idevice has to do is propagated the field with the barcode numbers from the camera?? is this in anyway possible.

AFAIK, iOS does not work with barcodes at all (only QR codes). Apple, I think, did not want to offer an inconsistent user experience in being unable to link to every possible barcode database that might exist/not exist.

Sep 13, 2020 5:11 PM in response to Siabh

Hi Siabh,

You say above

"The iDevice camera is capable of physically (optically) scanning both - barcodes and QR codes. (Sidenote: QR codes are easier to scan than barcodes.)" I have tried for over an hour to scan a "barcode" and not once has it scanned? does scan QR codes.

You also say "On the App Store, you will find 3rd party apps which are able to link to the right database and decode the barcode. You could install these kind of apps to do that." Sure they will scan the barcode and it sits on the screen of the barcode app doing nothing.

What I would like to see happen is, I have an app with a field into which I want to scan the numbers only of a barcode ( the app will associate the numbers to the database. All the idevice has to do is propagated the field with the barcode numbers from the camera?? is this in anyway possible.

Regards,

AR

Scan barcodes with camera fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.