Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hours format

In Numbers 10.1, I'm setting a cell to "hours" , if i type 9 i get 9:00, but if I type 9:30 i get 0:10 and the real value of the cell ( extreme btm left ) shows 0:09,5...where is the problem exactly ? the data format doesn't keep his setting.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 2:16 AM

In Numbers there is no "hours" setting, so it's a little hard to guess what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to enter a point in time, such as 09:00 am then set your Data Format (Format > Cell tab) to Date & Time.

If you are trying to enter a segment of time (elapsed time), say 9 hours of work, then enter 9h. Or if 9 hours and 30 minutes, then enter 9h 30m. Numbers should know then you mean a Duration, not Date & Time. Go to the Data Format dropdown to check this, and (if you want) change the way a duration is displayed.

SG

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2020 2:16 AM in response to Claudel35

In Numbers there is no "hours" setting, so it's a little hard to guess what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to enter a point in time, such as 09:00 am then set your Data Format (Format > Cell tab) to Date & Time.

If you are trying to enter a segment of time (elapsed time), say 9 hours of work, then enter 9h. Or if 9 hours and 30 minutes, then enter 9h 30m. Numbers should know then you mean a Duration, not Date & Time. Go to the Data Format dropdown to check this, and (if you want) change the way a duration is displayed.

SG

Aug 21, 2020 7:01 AM in response to Claudel35

It is a little non-intuitive in this instance. It appears you have already formatted the cell as duration with the units of hr and min displayed as 0:00 (which is h:mm). That is all correct. When you type a plain old 9, it assumes you mean 9 hours and displays it as 9:00. When you type 9:30 it is assuming you mean 9 minutes and 30 seconds, which shows up as 0:10, which is 9m30s round to the nearest minute. If you type 9:30:0 or 9:30:00 it will be seen as hours, minutes, seconds and display as 9:30. If you type 9h30m or 9.5 it will display as 9:30. That's just how it works; I know of no workaround, just to type the additional stuff it requires.

Hours format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.