Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing more RAM for a 21.5 late 2015 iMac. Info and Help gratefully required

I want to install more RAM on a 21.5 late 2015 iMac.

However, there is no listing on the Apple site for a 21.5 late 2015 iMac. How can I find the information to install more RAM for this model? I have the serial number

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 1:02 AM

11 replies

Sep 1, 2020 3:16 PM in response to Siabh

Hello: the 21.5 inch imac late 2015 does exist. apple makes it so easy to get the specs, so please do not tell is it does not exist as we are looking at the "about this mac" details. I have read that it is sometimes called 16.1 for some reason. Also, on the apple site itself, it says that it is configurable see this link: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP733?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US. We are trying to find out HOW it is configurable. Thank you to anyone that can help.

Sep 1, 2020 3:26 PM in response to SheriShines

SheriShines wrote:

Hello: the 21.5 inch imac late 2015 does exist. apple makes it so easy to get the specs, so please do not tell is it does not exist as we are looking at the "about this mac" details.

Yes, we know. Mike Sombrio pointed out that fact 10 days ago. It can't be configured as Mike also pointed out: "there are no ram slots as the ram is soldered onto the logic board". So many people have found out that purchasing a 21.5" iMac was generally a poor choice.

Sep 1, 2020 9:05 PM in response to SheriShines

Ah, yes. Even the New 27" iMac indicates on the Overview page 'up to x-GB' and the Tech Specs 'configurable to x-GB'. Apple doesn't clearly reveal upfront if the RAM is upgradeable

Admittedly, in my haste for a shiny new toy - I missed that too.  At Purchase, I bumped-up my RAM to the "Configurable to 16GB" max rather than the 8GB configuration offered.  In retrospect, doubling the RAM I think I need seems to be a good investment - especially if I don’t upgrade my Mac every 2-3 years.   

She turns 5-years old next month and has been a very, very good computer.  While I'm certain it was meant as a helpful - don't do that again suggestion - I’ve never felt ‘…that purchasing a 21.5” [late 2015] iMac was generally a poor choice’, and I’m willing to wager you don’t think so either?  Five years is a good run, eh?  Lol. Especially for an iMac that doesn't exist. (sorry, couldn't resist adding that)

And so, to clarify: Our 21.5" (late 2015) iMac is configurable up to 16-GB At Purchase, but not user-upgradeable.  It would be helpful if Apple made that distinction.

Sep 2, 2020 12:43 PM in response to Old Toad

Hello Old Toad!  Absolutely LOVED the background story about the origin of “Old Toad” and “Toad Hall”.  Priceless!

Nope.  I configured my iMac 21.5” (late 2015) at purchase with the max 16GB RAM, and so the issue of whether or not the RAM was upgradeable was a moot point for me.  

I can see how in 2015, and even now with the online information on the new iMac 27” (2020) - in the absence of the term upgradeable - Apple customers could assume ‘configurable up to X-GB’ included the option of increasing the RAM post-purchase. 

I would love to see Apple make the distinction clearer so that nice lady could have opted for more RAM at purchase in 2015.  

Installing more RAM for a 21.5 late 2015 iMac. Info and Help gratefully required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.