Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing HD with recovery mode still leaves a volume of used space?

Hello ,

I am erasing my complete Ssd of my MacBook Pro , catalina, with recovery mode.

before I install a new clean OS X , there seems to be Still 137 Mb of other volumes on my Macintosh HD . Which is In gray color , There is also 25kb of used storage but that’s normal I guess

As I am having persisting problems with some kind of malware that doesn’t seem to get completly erased with a clean install . I am wondering what those 137Mb or doing there? It doesn’t show up anywhere

maybe a stupid question but I don’t seem to find an answer on the internet .

many thanks !!

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 8:48 AM

Nothing is carried over, the Recovery OS is standalone and does not use components of your 'regular' system. Reinstalling macOS in Recovery Mode is as close to wiping the drive as you can get – it's the new 'clean install' for Macs with a T2 chip, since you cannot boot them from attached media without going through Recovery Mode.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2020 8:48 AM in response to MRdontknowitall

Nothing is carried over, the Recovery OS is standalone and does not use components of your 'regular' system. Reinstalling macOS in Recovery Mode is as close to wiping the drive as you can get – it's the new 'clean install' for Macs with a T2 chip, since you cannot boot them from attached media without going through Recovery Mode.

Aug 21, 2020 8:39 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Thanks a lot for your quick help!

so I don’t have to worry about that.

I also have another question . If I may ask?

As the recovery mode runs from your oparating system as , base system OS X , while installing a new OS X . Does it take any settings , as ; how And what to boot , etc. , From the old OS X or does it completely run A New mini OS X run from the internet ?

I am a bit worried that it might take something from the version before . As I am having persisting problems with an alteration of my screen . And like to have everything new .

maybe question 2 ? Can your start up and bios be reinstalled ? Or is this also done by a install of a new OS X ?

it seems that I can’t do more, to solve my problem , then doing a clean install .

many thanks again

greets

Erasing HD with recovery mode still leaves a volume of used space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.