Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Images transfer over USB does not clear up free space?

Hello,

After my iphone has been filling up recently, I decided to move over most of my photos to my (windows) computer.

I simply did this how I usually would, connect the usb cable to the computer, go into the DCIM folder and Cut+Paste any (or all) photos from my phone to a folder on my desktop.

After the process is done, all the photos are also actually removed from my gallery app, HOWEVER the free space does not seem to clear up almost at all.

I have copied over 6 Gb of images already (that are no longer available on my iphone as well) yet I only have about 400 mb of extra free space?

And no, my trash folder in the gallery app is empty I already checked that.

There has to be some cache of this somewhere? I doubt there is so much compression on the iphone going on that 6 Gb turns into 400 Mb

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 12:36 PM

Is your phone filled up with “other” data? Did you check in Settings>General>iPhone Storage? If that’s what taking up all the space, try updating to iOS 13.6.1 if you haven’t done so already.

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Images transfer over USB does not clear up free space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.