Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac won't read Sony SDXC M 128GB cards?

I have a 128GB SDXC card for video. It reads in my MacBook Air but not in my iMac...the newest version, 2019, just purchased last month (July, 2020). My old iMac read this card also. What is the problem with the new computer not reading the card? The card obviously works fine on other equipment.

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 4:31 PM

Run Disk Utility (Utilities folder in Applications folder) and set View (Top-left) to "Show All Devices".

It should show the SDXC card in the left column with its volume indented below it. Select the volume and look for the volume format near the top of the window.

If it shows "Mac OS Standard" of HFS, not "Mac OS Extended" or HFS+, then that's the problem. Catalina dropped support for the older volume format that was replaced in 1998, probably because the code to support it was 32-bit.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2020 4:31 PM in response to Sonya7iiiwithiMac

Run Disk Utility (Utilities folder in Applications folder) and set View (Top-left) to "Show All Devices".

It should show the SDXC card in the left column with its volume indented below it. Select the volume and look for the volume format near the top of the window.

If it shows "Mac OS Standard" of HFS, not "Mac OS Extended" or HFS+, then that's the problem. Catalina dropped support for the older volume format that was replaced in 1998, probably because the code to support it was 32-bit.

Aug 22, 2020 11:24 AM in response to Sonya7iiiwithiMac

Hi Sonya7iiiwithiMac,

Thank you for posting in Apple Communities! Sounds like you new iMac isn't reading your Sony memory card, do we have that right? What macOS is currently installed on your new iMac? How about on your MacBook Air and older iMac? Are you using a memory card reader? If so, is the reader compatible with the macOS currently installed on your new iMac?

About the SD and SDXC card slot on your Mac

Are you able to have the SDXC card read when booted into safe mode?

How to use safe mode on your Mac

You may need to check out Sony's support site for information about compatibility: Welcome to Sony Support

Hope that helps!

iMac won't read Sony SDXC M 128GB cards?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.