Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linking Photos to iCloud bloats source file size

When I change Photo preferences in my MacBook Pro to "iCloud photos...automatically upload and store..." I get the message "Your full-resolution photos and videos stored in iCloud may not fit on this Mac. The library on this Mac can be optimised to take up less space. All your full-resolution originals will be stored in iCloud and accessible in the Photos app. Time Machine will no longer back up all full-resolution originals."

I do not want reductions in the Photos library on my BacBook, I simply want the Photo library on my MacBook to be copied to the Cloud. Copying to the cloud cannot increase the the size of the source Photos database. How do I fix this. My Photos folder on iCloud does have images in it that have been uploaded from other sources (like my phone): is the Mac trying to sync these back to the MacBook (without any instruction to do so)?

Catalina 10.15.6 MacBook Pro quad i7

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 7:44 PM

Hi. Apple seems to have resolved this via a support call. There were items in my iCloud/Photos album that were not in my desktop Photos app and Cloud was trying to sync these back to the desktop, which was causing the extra space demand. Once I removed those items from iCloud all was good. Thanks for your response though, every bit of understanding helps.

Michael

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2020 7:44 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi. Apple seems to have resolved this via a support call. There were items in my iCloud/Photos album that were not in my desktop Photos app and Cloud was trying to sync these back to the desktop, which was causing the extra space demand. Once I removed those items from iCloud all was good. Thanks for your response though, every bit of understanding helps.

Michael

Aug 22, 2020 2:22 PM in response to MichaelGli2

Welcome MichaelGli2,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! We understand that you are having some questions about iCloud Photos. Let’s take a look and see what we can do. We're happy to help!

We were able to gather this resource to help us understand iCloud Photos.

Set up and use iCloud Photos

Specifically, it states that "If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them. You can use Optimize Storage on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac."

The above message is stating that your device will upload the full resolution photos to iCloud and keep a smaller version available on your MacBook Pro to free up space. At any time, if you choose to view a photo, it will automatically download the image at full resolution then once done it will reduce the size again.

Whenever you turn on iCloud Photos on your iPhone the device will store all photos on iCloud. Then when you turn on iCloud Photos for your MacBook Pro it will automatically upload photos first and then download the photos from your iPhone to your Mac. With "Optimize Storage" turned on it will not take up much space on your iPhone and Mac.

Have a great day!

Linking Photos to iCloud bloats source file size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.