Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If i delete photos from my device, does icloud delete it from the cloud too when it syncs?

If i delete photos from my device, does icloud delete it from the cloud too when it syncs?

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 4:31 AM

Yes, iCloud syncs with the actions you take on any device connected to iCloud. So, let's say you edit a photo on your iPhone, the same photo on iCloud will also be edited. Similarly, if you delete from iPhone, it will be deleted from iCloud.

It works in the other direction too ... so deleting from iCloud.com/Photos will also cause the photo(s) to be deleted on your iPhone (and any other device connected to the iCloud).

You can optimize storage on your iDevice, though. This will save a compressed (smaller sized) photo on your device, while still keeping the original version of the photo on iCloud. Read about it here : Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

To know more about deleting photos/videos ... Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2020 4:31 AM in response to Butteruup

Yes, iCloud syncs with the actions you take on any device connected to iCloud. So, let's say you edit a photo on your iPhone, the same photo on iCloud will also be edited. Similarly, if you delete from iPhone, it will be deleted from iCloud.

It works in the other direction too ... so deleting from iCloud.com/Photos will also cause the photo(s) to be deleted on your iPhone (and any other device connected to the iCloud).

You can optimize storage on your iDevice, though. This will save a compressed (smaller sized) photo on your device, while still keeping the original version of the photo on iCloud. Read about it here : Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

To know more about deleting photos/videos ... Delete photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.