Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dates in finder

Which date shows the info window in finder for an object say a file?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 1:32 PM

One may only speculate since there can be a variety of reasons. VikingOSX suggested one possible cause.

How can I repair Finder Info global and en masse?

If you are asking how to extract each photo's unique EXIF data to amend the Finder's file creation data en masse, I'm afraid that I'm out of my depth with such a task. Changing each file's Finder data to reflect a more realistic (but arbitrary) date would be trivial though.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2020 1:32 PM in response to KarlPfeifferHarbachoed

One may only speculate since there can be a variety of reasons. VikingOSX suggested one possible cause.

How can I repair Finder Info global and en masse?

If you are asking how to extract each photo's unique EXIF data to amend the Finder's file creation data en masse, I'm afraid that I'm out of my depth with such a task. Changing each file's Finder data to reflect a more realistic (but arbitrary) date would be trivial though.

Aug 22, 2020 1:04 PM in response to KarlPfeifferHarbachoed

If one uses Image Capture to import an image from an iOS device, then Finder will use the EXIF DateTimeOriginal date for the creation date. If an image is brought into macOS by other means, then the current date/time stamp will be applied as the creation date. Does the January 1980 date have any significance in regard to the image such as a Mac's clock being temporarily set back to that date, when the file was copied onto it? A dead clock battery in an older Mac might have caused this.

Dates in finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.