Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No "Date Taken" Information When I Download Photos From iCloud

Hi,

I am a Windows 10 user and log into iCloud using Google Chrome. I like being able to see when my photos were taken and they look great in iCloud. However, once I download them into my hard drive, I get IMG_xxxx.PNG which is fine, but then when I right-click > Properties to see the details, the "Date Taken" field is blank.

For now, all 384 photos I have downloaded for August shows: Date Created: August 22, 2020; Date Modified: August 22, 2020; Date Taken: <blank>.

Short of getting a Mac (lol), filling out the info per file (ouch), or switching back to an Android phone (hopefully not), is there any way that I would be able to keep the "Date Taken" information?

Thanks!

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 5:31 PM

Are you downloading in png format as those don't store metadata. See -- Download iCloud photos and videos - Apple Support.

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 23, 2020 1:05 PM in response to zinacef

Hi zinacef, thank you for your response. I only click on the Download button and it automatically downloads as a "iCloud Photos.zip" file and upon extraction, they are in PNG format. I have followed the instructions on the link you have sent and it is very helpful. I didn't realize that I had to hold down the download icon for the option to download as "Most Compatible".

Unfortunately, I now have the files in these formats: IMG_0393.JPG, IMG_0395.JPEG, and IMG_0399.PNG. It seems that the same 384 photos and videos have been downloaded in different file formats. The JPG files have the "Date Taken" information (thank you so much!), while the rest are PNG.

Would you be able to assist me on this as well, please?

Thank you!

No "Date Taken" Information When I Download Photos From iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.