Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Who is using legacy system extensions

How can I identify the programs that are using legacy system extensions?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 22, 2020 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 4:45 PM

May I offer some additional input for your consideration? Concerning Apple’s announcement regarding Legacy System Extensions, there is nothing we have to do or be worried about. What Apple is telling us is that when the next new operating system comes out (Big Sur), it will no longer allow those Legacy System Extensions which are part of other vendor’s apps. That means that any software vendors who have failed to update their offerings will be incompatible with the new OS. Those vendors have all been told what changes they will need to make to be compatible and I assume they are doing so. The bottom line is this. Before installing the next OS we need to visit our vendor web sites to verify that they have updated their offerings. If an important software has not been upgraded, then it might be a good idea to wait before installing Big Sur. I hope this is helpful to you.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 4:45 PM in response to Jerry Dalton1

May I offer some additional input for your consideration? Concerning Apple’s announcement regarding Legacy System Extensions, there is nothing we have to do or be worried about. What Apple is telling us is that when the next new operating system comes out (Big Sur), it will no longer allow those Legacy System Extensions which are part of other vendor’s apps. That means that any software vendors who have failed to update their offerings will be incompatible with the new OS. Those vendors have all been told what changes they will need to make to be compatible and I assume they are doing so. The bottom line is this. Before installing the next OS we need to visit our vendor web sites to verify that they have updated their offerings. If an important software has not been upgraded, then it might be a good idea to wait before installing Big Sur. I hope this is helpful to you.

Who is using legacy system extensions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.