Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All three buttons on iPhone XS malfunctioning

Very weird issue has developed on my XS. Upon start-up the 'up' and 'down' volume graphics briefly show onscreen, as if the buttons are being pressed, when they're not, then within 60 seconds the phone goes into a hard reset via the apple logo, as if the on/off side button had ALSO been held down (when it wasn't). It's as if all three buttons are malfunctioning simultaneously (which I realise is highly unlikely, so it'll be a fault elsewhere). Here's where the fun starts... because the phone can only be on for 60 seconds each cycle, there's insufficient time to update the software (it's currently on 13.5.1), or frankly to do anything else (including, I guess, a total reset). I looked for an option to disable the buttons, or the hard reset function, and unsurprisingly they don't exist. In the good old day's I'd have dropped into an Apple Store to get it looked at, but here's the hilarious thing, I've got to self-isolate for another 9 days having returned from France and I'm pretty stuck without a functioning phone.... I get the impression I may just be out of luck, but any ideas/suggestions would be gratefully received!

iPhone XS

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 3:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 3:59 AM

The force restart is still there but it does depend on functioning buttons!

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/iphone/iph8903c3ee6/ios

You should be able to arrange to send it to Apple for repair.

You can:

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

or See if any of the contact options here are useful:

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

You may need to back it up and wipe it, so why not try that now.

The next procedure would be to restore your device, and setup the device without restoring a backup, to see if the issue is replicated. I would first make sure you have a backup so your data is saved.

Here is a guide for those steps:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

and see how it goes

If no improvement send it for repair.

If it works well restore from backup but be prepared to wipe again without restore from backup. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 3:59 AM in response to Gaz 1976

The force restart is still there but it does depend on functioning buttons!

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/iphone/iph8903c3ee6/ios

You should be able to arrange to send it to Apple for repair.

You can:

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

or See if any of the contact options here are useful:

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

You may need to back it up and wipe it, so why not try that now.

The next procedure would be to restore your device, and setup the device without restoring a backup, to see if the issue is replicated. I would first make sure you have a backup so your data is saved.

Here is a guide for those steps:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

and see how it goes

If no improvement send it for repair.

If it works well restore from backup but be prepared to wipe again without restore from backup. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204184

Sep 16, 2020 3:04 AM in response to LD150

Thanks for your time on this Peter. The Genius Bar determined that it was indeed a mechanical malfunction and I've now got a new phone. A bizarre problem! Especially as the constant 'shutdown cycle' meant that further backing up was impossible (mercifully the last successful backup before the fault developed meant that a full restore on the new phone worked perfectly).

All three buttons on iPhone XS malfunctioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.