Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store has disappeared from MacBook Air

I have searched high and low over the past few months and cannot find any examples of an issue like this one... I have not been able to open my App Store for a long time now. When I click on the icon, it 'bounces' on the dock for half a second before disappearing. It won't open. I've tried to go in and clear the caches (e.g. com.apple.appstore and similar) but there aren't any. It's as though all trace of the store has disappeared from my computer, other than the icon. I've tried resetting Safari, clearing the caches on there, safe booting the laptop, and every other fix I can think of. I've tried downloading a combi update from Apple but it won't load once it's downloaded.

I can't update my OS (currently running Yosemite 10.10.5) despite trying through every avenue I can think of. As a result I am now finding various features on the MacBook will no longer work.

Please, if anyone has any suggestions or a solution, I'm honestly at my wit's end.

MacBook Air 11″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 12:51 PM

Hi espritlibre,

Thanks for trying. Our next step would be to try opening the App Store app in safe mode. If you are not familiar with the safe mode steps, you can follow the steps here: How to use safe mode on your Mac to get it done. Once in safe mode, you'd want to use the Mac as you normally would to see if the issue occurs again. You can tell when the Mac is in safe mode because on the desktop it will show the words Safe Boot in the top right-hand corner of the screen. 

If safe mode does not resolve the issue, then please reinstall your macOS using the steps here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

If you are still experiencing the issues after the macOS reinstall, then please reach out to Apple Support for further assistance here: Get Support

Have a great day!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2020 12:51 PM in response to espritlibre

Hi espritlibre,

Thanks for trying. Our next step would be to try opening the App Store app in safe mode. If you are not familiar with the safe mode steps, you can follow the steps here: How to use safe mode on your Mac to get it done. Once in safe mode, you'd want to use the Mac as you normally would to see if the issue occurs again. You can tell when the Mac is in safe mode because on the desktop it will show the words Safe Boot in the top right-hand corner of the screen. 

If safe mode does not resolve the issue, then please reinstall your macOS using the steps here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery

If you are still experiencing the issues after the macOS reinstall, then please reach out to Apple Support for further assistance here: Get Support

Have a great day!

Aug 23, 2020 6:58 PM in response to espritlibre

Hi espritlibre,

We'd love to assist you with updating your macOS and getting your App Store app to open. First, we'd recommend completing the steps listed here: How to update the software on your Mac to get the macOS updated. If it doesn't allow you to update the macOS in the current user, then please set up a new user account using the steps here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and attempt to update the software again.

Also, the steps listed here: If an app won't run or install on your Mac after you upgrade macOS will assist you with apps that are not opening properly for you.

Have a great day!

Aug 24, 2020 4:00 AM in response to CarlAVII

As clearly stated above, *I cannot update my OS as my computer is not recognising the App Store*. I am aware of how to do a software update ordinarily, but this is not currently possible due to the App Store not working. Both of the generic pages above require the App Store to follow the instructions.

I am really disappointed to have received an automated response which does not begin to address the issues I am experiencing.

App Store has disappeared from MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.