Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving/Consolidating Apps on IPAD

Has anyone figured out a way to consolidate apps into folders outside the dragging and dropping one app at a time?

It seems like it would be a lot easier to have an Explorer-like list that allows one to check the apps he/she wants for each folder. In fact, a feature to create folders that way would be nice. Every IPAD user is not 15 nor has the physical dexterity in one’s hands to efficiently use this drag and drop system. If IPAD cares about their demographic of older users, it should fix this. Dragging and dropping an app at a time simply doesn’t work when trying to organize multiple apps and folders.

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 6:13 AM

Sorry, but there is only one way to consolidate apps into folders, which is drag and drop. I have a few hundred apps, and I took time long ago to organize them and I keep my apps organized at the time I download one. Once organized, it's not much of an issue as far as I'm concerned.

You are more than welcome to choose feature request to Apple via this link --> Feedback - iPad - Apple

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 6:13 AM in response to KJo1976

Sorry, but there is only one way to consolidate apps into folders, which is drag and drop. I have a few hundred apps, and I took time long ago to organize them and I keep my apps organized at the time I download one. Once organized, it's not much of an issue as far as I'm concerned.

You are more than welcome to choose feature request to Apple via this link --> Feedback - iPad - Apple

Aug 23, 2020 6:46 AM in response to KJo1976

Well, it is possible to use multi-select to move multiple Apps, from a single Home Page, to folder in one go - however, ultimately, it still requires a single drag-and-drop gesture to complete the move.

The process is relatively easy, requiring little dexterity beyond that of a single drag-and-drop. This is how it’s done; it is much more difficult to describe than it is to do, so take your time to understand what is - in practice - very simple.

1) Touch-and-hold an App icon that you wish to move; do not lift your finger from the screen. First an Action Menu will appear, then disappear, as the App icons start to jiggle.

2) Whilst continuing to keep your finger in the screen, using another finger, tap additional App icons that you eventually wish to move. For each additional App that you tap, you’ll notice a small green badge, that has now appeared, will increment its count to indicate the total number of Apps selected.

3) Continue to tap additional App icons until finished. Do not lift the first finger from the screen - as this will cancel the multi-select.

4) When ready to move the App “stack” to a folder, just drag your held-finger to the destination folder - and then lift your finger from the screen. All the selected App icons will be moved in this single drag-and-drop gesture.

5) Tap the screen anywhere to exit the jiggle mode - or for iPads with a physical Home Button, click once.

There you have it. Multi-select and a single drag-and-drop.

I hope this guidance proves to be helpful in simplifying your previous attempts at moving Apps to folders of your choice.

Aug 23, 2020 7:49 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Multi-touch/multi-touch works with many gestures and Apps - such as with Safari tabs (feature documented in my extensive Safari missive for iPadOS).

Hopefully the OP will find the information and technique to be equally helpful.

I’m sure that there’ll be a few more tricks to teach... at least for those receptive to new knowledge 🙂

Aug 23, 2020 9:57 AM in response to LotusPilot

Either I am misunderstanding what to do, or my fingers don’t work. I’ve tried this 20 times and can’t get it to work.

Hold down on an app icon unit it wiggles. Ignore the action menu, correct?

While continuing to hold down on that first icon, tap other app icons that you wish to move, correct?

I will see a green icon on all of the selected apps. That doesn’t work for me.

I see no green icon counter to indicate that I have selected those apps. Nothing at all happens when I tap other app icons other than they continue to wiggle. What am I doing wrong?

Aug 23, 2020 10:09 AM in response to Demo

Hi Demo, lobsterghost1

Aha - there is tiny element of clarification missing from my earlier description, lost during my editing (I did say my I was my iPad was misbehaving) - for which I humbly apologise.

1) Touch-and-hold an App icon that you wish to move; do not lift your finger from the screen. First an Action Menu will appear, then disappear, as the App icons start to jiggle. Drag the selected App icon [if only slightly] from its current position.

2) Whilst continuing to keep your finger on the screen, using another finger, tap additional App icons that you eventually wish to move. For each additional App that you tap, you’ll notice a small green badge, that has now appeared, will increment its count to indicate the total number of Apps selected.

3) Continue to tap additional App icons until finished. Do not lift the first finger from the screen - as this will cancel the multi-select.

4) When ready to move the App “stack” to a folder, just drag your held-finger to the destination folder - and then lift your finger from the screen. All the selected App icons will be moved in this single drag-and-drop gesture.

5) Tap the screen anywhere to exit the jiggle mode - or for iPads with a physical Home Button, click once.

Hopefully the full text is now in place. Does this work for you now?

Moving/Consolidating Apps on IPAD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.