Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! Mac keeps restarting after Catalina download

So I recently just cleared up my late 2015 Mac and since the old OS couldn’t accommodate Office 365 (and so much more), I had no choice but to download Catalina. After downloading, I restarted my computer to install it and it would reach only up to 90% and restart. It would sometimes reload and reach the log-in screen but after I type my password and enter, it would restart again. (and again and again)

I tried to go to Disk Utility through recovery and ran first aid but it only says “unable to unmount volume for repair” and “first aid process has failed”.

I also looked up some solutions online and using force unmount on terminal still doesnt work :(

Reinstalling Mac OS just brings me back to where I started. SEND HELP :(

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 1:10 PM

You have a serious problem with the SSD. I hope you have a backup since you no longer can boot the computer successfully. I would suggest you can try the following:

1. Shutdown the computer and disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  2. Wait 30 seconds before you restart the computer.
  3. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally. See How  to  use  safe  mode  on  your  Mac.

If you can boot in safe mode, then backup your files before moving to the next stage:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

You will need a fast, working Internet connection, preferably, Ethernet. If you must use Wi-Fi, you will be asked to select your network and enter the network password. This procedure will install the current version of macOS that is compatible with your model.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2020 1:10 PM in response to PickleJamie

You have a serious problem with the SSD. I hope you have a backup since you no longer can boot the computer successfully. I would suggest you can try the following:

1. Shutdown the computer and disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  2. Wait 30 seconds before you restart the computer.
  3. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally. See How  to  use  safe  mode  on  your  Mac.

If you can boot in safe mode, then backup your files before moving to the next stage:

Internet/Network Recovery of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

You will need a fast, working Internet connection, preferably, Ethernet. If you must use Wi-Fi, you will be asked to select your network and enter the network password. This procedure will install the current version of macOS that is compatible with your model.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately, at or before the chime, hold down the (Command-Option-R) keys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the target drive (out-dented entry w/type and size) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to APFS (SSDs, only if installing Mojave or Catalina ) or Mac OS Extended, (Journaled.)
  8. Provide a volume name, usually "Macintosh HD."
  9. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  10. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  11. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

HELP! Mac keeps restarting after Catalina download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.