Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

encrypted backups in iTunes

So I made a backup of my iphone and forgot the password. I deleted the backup, but itunes still insists that I provide that oassword to make another backup. Any way I can tell iTunes to forget it ever saw that phone so I can make a new backup without a password?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 9:24 AM

Hey Fran,

It sounds like you've forgotten your encrypted backup password for your iPhone. We've got just the thing to help solve this for you.

Our link here talks about how to determine if a backup has been encrypted, covers how to reset the password, and turn off encrypted backups: About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Note: If you reset the password, you will no longer have access to the previously encrypted backups. However, you'd have access to any new ones with the new password.

Wishing you the best!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2020 9:24 AM in response to OldFran

Hey Fran,

It sounds like you've forgotten your encrypted backup password for your iPhone. We've got just the thing to help solve this for you.

Our link here talks about how to determine if a backup has been encrypted, covers how to reset the password, and turn off encrypted backups: About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Note: If you reset the password, you will no longer have access to the previously encrypted backups. However, you'd have access to any new ones with the new password.

Wishing you the best!

encrypted backups in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.