Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos & iCloud

So I've finally paid for iCloud storage in order to have my photos in one place and just have the same edits weather on iPhone or Mac.

My photos library is over 100GB and stored on an external hard drive formatted Mac OS Extended. I keep a copy of the library on a NAS as backup.

I've followed the guides and ticked sync library to iCloud from Mac. iPhone photo library is now empty and waiting to see all my library populate. Right now I don't see any progress bar or anything. 100GB is a lot so I don't expect instant uploaded but where is the progress so I know it's done it correctly and all my photos from Mac uploaded to iCloud.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 5:05 PM

That didn't take long at all. The only thing not on that list, was .bmp and .pdf but only had a couple of these and are compatible with Apple Photos.

The 29 items were ".amr" which was the old BlackBerry voice note files. I just kept the smart folder .amr so I know what these are as I don't wish to delete these, despite not compatible I can find them using my Synology NAS and play them that way.

Thank you so much. Now I just have to wait for 100GB worth of media is uploaded.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2020 5:05 PM in response to Dimmyv

That didn't take long at all. The only thing not on that list, was .bmp and .pdf but only had a couple of these and are compatible with Apple Photos.

The 29 items were ".amr" which was the old BlackBerry voice note files. I just kept the smart folder .amr so I know what these are as I don't wish to delete these, despite not compatible I can find them using my Synology NAS and play them that way.

Thank you so much. Now I just have to wait for 100GB worth of media is uploaded.

Aug 24, 2020 3:59 PM in response to Dimmyv

You can at least find the ones with uncommon file types by creating a Smart Album that excludes the file types you commonly use. Here's an example Smart Album that excludes a number of types I do use:

You could start with the top two or three at first, then add other types that you intentionally use. I continued until I covered all the types I use, as evidenced by the "0 items matched" shown. (All of the types shown there are recognized by Photos as photo or video formats.)

That won't show you which items might be damaged or otherwise unusable, but it might be a start.

Aug 23, 2020 8:54 PM in response to Dimmyv

What do you see at the bottom of the "All Photos" display? There should be a count of the photos, videos, and maybe other items. Below that, there should be a status indication, such as "Updated Just Now" (the usual steady state), "Updating..." or a progress count of uploading or downloading.

If you do not see that, check that the library you have open is designated as the System Photo Library. There is a "Use as System Photo Library" button in Photos > Preferences > General. If the button looks faded out, that's an indication that it is already the System Photo Library. If the "Use as System Photo Library" button has the same appearance as the "Show in Finder" button next to it, click. the "Use as System Photo Library" button, which should then fade to gray.

Photos & iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.