Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging an iPhone 3G with an iPad Power Adapter?

I tried to charge my iPhone 3G with the an iPad power adapter. Although it seems like the iPhone is charging (status icon, standby screen), the bars didn't change after unplugging the adapter.
However the iPhone charges fine with its own adapter and the iPad charges using the iPad adapter. All involved hardware is obviously working fine. But it seems stupid to require people to carry both adapters where the only difference is the amount of power the adapter is able to supply.

Same issue with my car charger... works fine with the iPad, the iPhone pretends to load and after a while it indicates (status bar) that it is no longer charging and running from the external source. I had Navigon running and all over sudden, the iPhone indicated that only 20% battery was left and it shut down a couple of minutes later.

Any ideas? Thanks,
Stefan

iPhone 3G, iOS 4, iOS 4.0.1

Posted on Jul 23, 2010 1:27 AM

10 replies

Jul 28, 2010 4:49 AM in response to Stefan Kreutter

Hi, same here.

We finally got the iPad in the Netherlands last weekend and I was using the included Pad 10W USB Power Adapter to charge the iPad and iPhones.

The problem occurred when my son was juicing his iPhone 3G with the iPad 10W USB Power Adapter.

- When charging the iPhone 3G with the iPad adapter, the icon shows it is charging but there is no progression in %. (only after rebooting the iPhone 3G.)

- I was already worried that his battery was defect, also because the battery at a sudden was a 20%. Using the iPod USB Power Adapter with the iPhone 3G solved the charging problem.

Using the Pad 10W USB Power Adapter with the iPhone 3GS shows no problem.

So this is an interesting case as the problem seems exclusively related to the iPhone 3G.

Apple please look at this !

Jul 28, 2010 11:00 AM in response to Tamara

Tamara wrote:
The iPad charger doesn't charge the 3G with the Apple approved cable.

What is the source of your data? My iPad charger charges my 16GB iPhone 3G without any problems at all and I've used it with cables from my local 'The Mac Store' (it is a third party cable but I don't know their source), from Apple, and from Griffin.

Aug 12, 2010 1:17 PM in response to fzahn

Very odd. The higher capacity iPad adapter should have no trouble charging the iPhone.

I'm running a 3G and it charges just fine with either the iPhone or iPad charger. Just checked it. My iPhone was down to about 60% charge, so I noted where the green bar was on the locked screen, and put a yellow stickie there to ensure I knew exactly where it was before I plugged it into the iPad charger.

5 minutes later it's up to about 90% (visually, I'm not looking at numbers here). No reason to expect that it won't be full in a few more minutes.

In Stefan's original post, you can see from his signature that he's running iOS4.0.1. fzahn linked to another post where the problem appeared after an upgrade to iOS4.

On the other hand, crh24 lists his (her?) iPhone as iOS4, and says that she (he?) has no problems.

*crh24, is your phone running 4.0, 4.0.1 or 4.0.2?*

For the record, I'm running 3.1.3, and the charging works (and is properly displayed).

coop

Charging an iPhone 3G with an iPad Power Adapter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.