Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode not working on iMac 2013 running Catalina 10.15.6

I am trying use my iMac 2013 (21.5") in Target Display Mode as an external monitor for my MacBook Pro 2020 but when I press Command-F2 on the iMac, nothing happens. Both machines are running macOS Catalina 10.15.6 and are connected using a Thunderbolt cable and Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. I am also using the original Mac keyboard on the iMac. I read somewhere that Catalina supports Target Display Mode on an iMac 2013.

Is this correct and if so, why is this not working for me?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 4:49 PM

Two problems:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

"You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier"

"Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later."

There are reports of success with 2020 Macs using Target display Mode, but those were connected to 2009 or 2010 iMacs, which connect via Mini DisplayPort, not Thunderbolt.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2020 4:49 PM in response to FoxtonRun

Two problems:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

"You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier"

"Target display mode requires macOS High Sierra or earlier on the iMac used as the external display. It does not work with macOS Mojave or later."

There are reports of success with 2020 Macs using Target display Mode, but those were connected to 2009 or 2010 iMacs, which connect via Mini DisplayPort, not Thunderbolt.

Target Display Mode not working on iMac 2013 running Catalina 10.15.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.