Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual Screen Problems

Hello! Virtual Teaching from home would be easier if I could figure out how to manage a dual screen!

I'm trying to connect a 2017 MacBook (2 thunderbolt ports) + 2017 iMac. I can't figure out what cords I need. I purchased a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) cord and connected it to both devices but they could not detect one another to engage dual screens.

Do I need an HDMI? Do I need a display port? SOS! PLEASE HELP! Thank you!!!!

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 9:01 PM

4 replies

Aug 24, 2020 9:36 PM in response to Teacher_M

Teacher_M Siad:

"Dual Screen Problems: Hello! Virtual Teaching from home would be easier if I could figure out how to manage a dual screen! [...] Do I need an HDMI? Do I need a display port? SOS! PLEASE HELP! Thank you!!!!

-------

Yes - Use HDMI:

HDMI would be for Audio and Video - you may need a cable that is 4K, depending on how high-end your screen is. So, either of the following is what you would use:

A. Belkin USB-C to HDMI Adapter - goes from from USB-C to HDMI

or...

B. USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. With it, you would not lose the USB connection. For Note: I use to to connect my:

• HDMI port for my TV
  • USB-A Port to plug in in my Laptop Cooler
  • USB-C Port to in tthe Power Adapter

Dual Screen Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.