Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook air shuts down with battery remaining

Hi,

I have a 2013 model MacBook Air that spontaneously shuts down even though there is generally 10-25% battery remaining. I've tried resetting the SMC but it still persists. Any help will be appreciated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 11:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 4:05 PM

talboz293 Said:

"Thank you! 'Service recommendation' just appeared yesterday on my screen. Seems I have to change the battery."

-------

You are welcome.

I Suggest you Take this to an AASP:

Contacting an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider): 

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the device
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2020 4:05 PM in response to talboz293

talboz293 Said:

"Thank you! 'Service recommendation' just appeared yesterday on my screen. Seems I have to change the battery."

-------

You are welcome.

I Suggest you Take this to an AASP:

Contacting an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider): 

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the device

Aug 25, 2020 12:45 AM in response to talboz293

talboz293 Said:

"Macbook air shuts down with battery remaining [...]I've tried resetting the SMC but it still persists.[...]"

-------

A Few Thoughts:

I. Reset your SMC and your NVRAM Thrice:

Sometimes changes (i.e. Installations) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. Power) become corrupted, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. So, reset the SMC and reset the NVRAM or PRAM. It might take three tries. to fix this. So, be certain you have the time to do so.

Start With This:

B. Troubleshooting Power:

Aug 25, 2020 1:28 AM in response to talboz293

Curious to learn if you've gotten the MacBook Air to charge up to over 75% before

you've tried to run it; at anytime recently? Or if you've ran it lowly on battery often?

What happens if you let it charge more than 24 hours with the Mac shut down?

Then try start up in Safe mode, and attempt troubleshooting. Various power reset

and other resets may be helpful; at the point where the battery power is sustained

but is not necessary. The power system with worn items, may need new repair parts.

Battery, power adapter, & I/O Board (internal combo/charge/power circuit) may have

defects that require replacements; these are three prime areas that can affect Mac.

The AC power adapter, probably MagSafe design, may have issues with connection

pins; if these are not clean and making connections, the battery won't fully charge.

• About Mac notebook batteries - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204054

• Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207

Should power adapter test OK, then replace battery; external things to check/test.

An idea would be to troubleshoot; depending on the cause/cost, and get estimates.

Take care & happy trails!🌞🐌

Macbook air shuts down with battery remaining

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.