Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Posts - Where Did They Go?

Anyone know how to access your previous posts? I can't find them in my profile.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 9:04 AM

Monty Hampton wrote:

I tried several renditions of searching for my name and did indeed retrieve some, but they were sprinkled throughout several hundred with other Monty's and Hampton's.

Good Morning! Sorry to be slow getting back I usually haunt ASC only in the morning hours.

That result could be browser-dependent. Most have a way to force only the search of an entire string instead of its components. I suspect all those other aggravating hits were because the search ignored the "site:" part that localizes it to Apple sites.

I just tested the above string except with my name and I got only hits from this site. Then I tested with the string I made for your and I get two pages (17 hits) of Apple posts that you appear to have created or at least joined. I used Yahoo search and Safari 13 and I did not have to use quotes or other string modifiers.

I suggest that, instead of retyping, you copy and paste the search string from my first response, and maybe try different browsers and search engines, to see if you make headway

Was just used to being able to see them when I was in the discussion group.

Find comfort in the fact that you are not alone in that feeling!

BTW, I did just notice that my filter quit working since Apple changed the email origin from discussions-updates@apple.com to discussions-updates@email.apple.com sometime after 2018. Must have been when they purged the old post?

You are not playing the Lone Ranger there either! I had just gotten a new iMac five weeks before the forum software changes and had to start using Apple Mail. The Mail rules I set to route all ASC notifications kept failing because the email addresses kept changing. That rule for ASC routing now has three address listed, and still some don't get moved automatically.

In case you want to look in your archives for something that happened right at the change-over date, that was Wednesday Dec 5, 2018.

After 20 years here I realize Apple, in building their own forum software. were in fact victims of their own success. There are so many users world-wide that it reached the point where commercial forums engine could not handle the volume. Given the choice between no forums and what we have today, I'm glad to have the latter!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2020 9:04 AM in response to EMH_OK

Monty Hampton wrote:

I tried several renditions of searching for my name and did indeed retrieve some, but they were sprinkled throughout several hundred with other Monty's and Hampton's.

Good Morning! Sorry to be slow getting back I usually haunt ASC only in the morning hours.

That result could be browser-dependent. Most have a way to force only the search of an entire string instead of its components. I suspect all those other aggravating hits were because the search ignored the "site:" part that localizes it to Apple sites.

I just tested the above string except with my name and I got only hits from this site. Then I tested with the string I made for your and I get two pages (17 hits) of Apple posts that you appear to have created or at least joined. I used Yahoo search and Safari 13 and I did not have to use quotes or other string modifiers.

I suggest that, instead of retyping, you copy and paste the search string from my first response, and maybe try different browsers and search engines, to see if you make headway

Was just used to being able to see them when I was in the discussion group.

Find comfort in the fact that you are not alone in that feeling!

BTW, I did just notice that my filter quit working since Apple changed the email origin from discussions-updates@apple.com to discussions-updates@email.apple.com sometime after 2018. Must have been when they purged the old post?

You are not playing the Lone Ranger there either! I had just gotten a new iMac five weeks before the forum software changes and had to start using Apple Mail. The Mail rules I set to route all ASC notifications kept failing because the email addresses kept changing. That rule for ASC routing now has three address listed, and still some don't get moved automatically.

In case you want to look in your archives for something that happened right at the change-over date, that was Wednesday Dec 5, 2018.

After 20 years here I realize Apple, in building their own forum software. were in fact victims of their own success. There are so many users world-wide that it reached the point where commercial forums engine could not handle the volume. Given the choice between no forums and what we have today, I'm glad to have the latter!

Aug 25, 2020 9:52 AM in response to EMH_OK

The only other post I see in your Subscriptions is one about iCloud Drive:

https://discussions.apple.com/profile/Monty%20Hampton/subscriptions

Were there others?

Since the forum software changed in Dec 2018, posts made before that date may not show in Subscriptions. The Hosts are aware of the issue. The workaround most of us use is to put this string in a search engine:

site:discussions.apple.com  Monty Hampton

Aug 25, 2020 12:04 PM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks Allan. Appreciate the suggestion. I didn't realize such a change was made in 2018. I have posted a number of times over the years, but it would surely be considered 'infrequently' by most's standard. I know I've had at east 3 since then.

Fortunately, I save most of my emails and have filtered/saved those "updates" from the discussion group and can locate them (in my email client) that way. Was just used to being able to see them when I was in the discussion group. BTW, I did just notice that my filter quit working since Apple changed the email origin from discussions-updates@apple.com to discussions-updates@email.apple.com sometime after 2018. Must have been when they purged the old post?

Thanks again.

Aug 26, 2020 9:56 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks, Alan. Appreciate the follow up. I have to confess that I misunderstood your initial response as performing the search using the Community search engine, not a global one. I tried it (in the Community) with/without 'site:' and the remaining location instructions and the results were always the same: ~600 results with either the first name, surname or full name. Most on the first few pages were not hits on my full name. However, I just tried your suggested search string in DuckDuckGo - and sure enough, I got results (9) with only my name (though not all of them). So I appreciate the advice and am glad to know there is a method if I need it. I am glad I saved the update emails though, son I do have en entire history. Will just have to make do with tracking them externally. Most are not relative anymore anyway, so perhaps just having them available back to 2018 may not be as bad as all that.

Again, thanks for your assistance and follow through. I've gone back and check resolved!

Old Posts - Where Did They Go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.